X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm done with Zoeller pumps

Been seeing them fail with distressing regularity. Pulled a dead n-98 used in a septic as effluent pump Monday and a dead wd-20 (~$1800) this summer, both ~2 years old, out of warranty, installed by me. Done paying extra for green paint. Embarrassing. Got crap "pro-flo" ones out there still working nicely. Gonna replace the n-98 with a chinese p.o.s. house brand from Lowes; how much worse can it be than death for no apparent reason at 2 years?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: I'm done with Zoeller pumps

Switch to Liberty....... they have some pretty decent pumps.

Comment

A couple of years ago, we had a problem with a bunch of Zoellers we install because of bad switches. I actually e-mailed John Zoeller about the problem, and while he was very prompt and courteous, he assured me there was no problem with their pumps.

I'm still cautious about using Zoeller.

Comment

In my experience, the main problem with Zoeller pumps is that the switches fail and while you can replace just the switch, it is a lot more time consuming than replacing a piggyback switch like those found on Hydromatic. The ones that fail the quickest for me are M53 sump pumps that are in pits that take a laundry tub discharge (very common around me to have drain tile and a laundry tub go into the same pit). The ones I pull are usually installed so that there is water dumping right onto the switch. The constant expansion and contraction of the rubber in the grommet around the float arm causes it to wear faster and once you get water in the switch housing, it's going to fail.

That said, a supply house near me carries Little Giant (chinese made Zoeller and Hydromatic copies) and claims that their M53 copy has a better seal around the float arm. I haven't installed any so I can't say.

I rarely have problems with the 267 1/2 hp sewage ejector pumps. If I do, it's usually from people flushing wipes or paper towels in excess. Again, making sure that the inlet pipe is not dumping water right onto the switch housing helps prolong the life IMO (pretty sure it says something about that in the instruction book too).

I can't speak to Liberty. I supply house near me carries them, but I haven't installed any. I really like the Metropolitan Ion Switches http://www.metropolitanind.com/Liter...rochureweb.pdf
        You can get Hydromatic pumps (painted black) with the Metropolitan switch on them. Those are the best submersible pumps available IMO, though they are a bit pricey and may be difficult to get in certain areas (Metropolitan is a Chicago area industrial pump company </title> <style> #pcm{display:none;} ul.pureCssMenu ul{display:none} ul.pureCssMenu li:hover>ul{display:block} ul.pureCssMenu ul{position: absolute;left:-1px;top:98%;} ul.pureCssMenu ul ul{position: absolute;left:98%;top:-2px;} ul.pureCssMenu,ul.pure

The best sump pump you can get though is the Tramco 400S. 10 year warranty. Nuff said (though it is going to cost you a very pretty penny). There are pumps installed by my Dad/Grandpa that are over 30 years old and still kickin' Tramco Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
          Switch to Liberty....... they have some pretty decent pumps.
          I have had the same problem with Zoeller. I switched to Liberty and we have great success. They have a unit that they demoed for me and I through just about everything at it. It ate a pair of leather work gloves like it was nothing. I tried the same thing with a zoeller and it broke it.
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
            I have had the same problem with Zoeller. I switched to Liberty and we have great success. They have a unit that they demoed for me and I through just about everything at it. It ate a pair of leather work gloves like it was nothing. I tried the same thing with a zoeller and it broke it.
            Were you comparing the same kind of pump? Liberty likes to setup a demonstration with their OmniVore grinder pump. Zoeller makes comparables that will chew & grind similarly.

Honestly have not had these premature failures with Zoeller, but am watching and listening.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-17-2012, 11:22 PM. Reason: Wrong Name

Comment

I have been saying this for years on this forum and many others, I avoid Zoeller like th plague. I do get requests for them now and then. When I do I try to steer them to the Liberty pumps since they have a better seal on the pump head than Zoeller. Zoeller's flat gasket tends to leak water into the pump head, where Liberty uses an O-ring seal. My two main choices for pumps is Liberty and Hydromatic. I have Hydromatic pumps that are 15+ years old that I have installed and still running strong.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                ~snip~

The best sump pump you can get though is the Tramco 400S. 10 year warranty. Nuff said (though it is going to cost you a very pretty penny). There are pumps installed by my Dad/Grandpa that are over 30 years old and still kickin' Tramco Pump
                Hi there Swade, long time my friend. I agree Tramco is the best pump out there, with the price tag to match though. Thing is if the customer spends the money at first they will not have to spend it over and over like they would with Zoeller, Hydromatic, Metropolitan, Liberty, Little Giant, or any other brand of cheaper submersible pump. I just changed out a Tramco unit that the new home owners failed to maintain the last 15 years they owned the house, the unit was 42 years old. That is the only time I see these (Tramco, Swabby, and Weil) pumps fail is due to the lack of maintenance which on the older units was keeping the oil cups full and the newer models hitting the grease fittings every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I agree Tramco is the best pump out there, with the price tag to match though. Thing is if the customer spends the money at first they will not have to spend it over and over like they would with Zoeller, Hydromatic, Metropolitan, Liberty, Little Giant, or any other brand of cheaper submersible pump.
                  We shoehorn in a lot of duplex systems where maintenance or replacement is a pita (come to think of it, it's always a pita). Swade's Tramco recommendation is most welcome. I've been attached at the hip with Zoeller for 30 years (their rep is in my town so access is real convenient), however I've experienced the same problems with their products as the rest of you and have branched out a number of times only to find that the other players have flawed products as well. I've always been an proponent of spending more if it will avoid or at least pospone expensive (and to my customer) premature repair or replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    We shoehorn in a lot of duplex systems where maintenance or replacement is a pita (come to think of it, it's always a pita). Swade's Tramco recommendation is most welcome. I've been attached at the hip with Zoeller for 30 years (their rep is in my town so access is real convenient), however I've experienced the same problems with their products as the rest of you and have branched out a number of times only to find that the other players have flawed products as well. I've always been an proponent of spending more if it will avoid or at least pospone expensive (and to my customer) premature repair or replacement.

The nice thing about Tramco is if they maintain the grease fittings the mainpump will last them forever. You may have to change a switch, float ball, or onoccasion the motor. This is not all that expensive or hard to do. One of thereasons I like Hydromatic with their pressure switch, and Metropolitan withtheir ION switch which is still a pressure sensitive switch, is its one boltand very easy to change out.

Hydromatic did shoot themselves in the foot a few years back by removing thebrass ferrule insert and bolt, and going to a self-tapping screw to secure theswitch to the pump. Thing is the self-tapping screw caused micro cracks in thehousing which allowed water to seep into the switch body and causing it to runnonstop. They have since then put the brass ferrule back in, but instead of a1/4 thread and bolt they went to a #8 machine screw. Since they went back tothe brass ferrule inserts, we have not had a problem since.

Comment

Ace, in septics try Orenco turbine pumps in a screened vault. They last forever unless the people forget to clean the filter.

Comment

the "omnivore"is awesome, huh? The only downside is that you have to get 240v to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X