X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faucet seat dressing tool

I could use some help. About 30 years ago I purchased a fantastic faucet seat grinding / dressing tool. I ended up selling it in Connecticut along with a bunch of other plumbing equipment so I wouldn't have to lug it back to Minnesota. The supply house I bought it from still exists but it doesn't have any idea what the manufacturer is, and they sell a dressing tool that's a pale imitation of the old one. (I know I bought it). I've had no luck looking online using search engines.

I have a 90 year shower faucet buried in a wall that I really would like to save for the customer. (I want to save their wall more than the faucet)

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice in this matter? Thanks in advance.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Faucet seat dressing tool

I have somewhere a faucet set tool that tapped the old seat that was not removable, and allowed you to thread in a newer style seat. I will give a look for it for ya.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks Ron! Now, that's something I haven't seen before.

Comment

I think my dad has that exact same tool...it's old looking, and never see them for sale anywhere.

Comment

an old time handyman neighbor has that set. i actually borrowed it once and it worked like a charm. it's a multi step process to grind the seat flat and then drill and tap the brass body. i have hundreds of assorted seats and some styles i've never used nor ever will. but it's a regional thing i guess.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I haven't seen many old shower valves that don't have seats in them. Is there a seat? Is it stuck? I know that on the new seat wrenches, I have had to cut the end off a little to get it to fit right in the old Price Pfister showers. I have also taken a drill bit and drilled out the seat, then used a small screw driver to pry the brass in on itself, but you better really understand how metal works, or you'll screw it up. If it is 90 years old, I would like to see the picture. I used to work on old Speakman valves back in California. Brought a few back to life that I thought were dead.
            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Jay, there's no seat in that baby. Well... there's a seat but it's not removable. The complete opening is round. No Hex, Square, oblong, diamond shape. There's nothing to grab. It's also one of the deeper located seats I've seen. I installed new stems a year and a half ago. They took a couple weeks to get. Seats weren't available either. That's because they don't come out.

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
              I haven't seen many old shower valves that don't have seats in them. Is there a seat? Is it stuck? I know that on the new seat wrenches, I have had to cut the end off a little to get it to fit right in the old Price Pfister showers. I have also taken a drill bit and drilled out the seat, then used a small screw driver to pry the brass in on itself, but you better really understand how metal works, or you'll screw it up. If it is 90 years old, I would like to see the picture. I used to work on old Speakman valves back in California. Brought a few back to life that I thought were dead.

Comment

http://amzn.com/B0051XQPAA

I am guessing that you have tried this?
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Yep. 1st thing.

However, I just bought a seat threading kit from eBay. Hopefully it will arrive in a few days and I can give that a try. (Thanks for turning me onto it Ron!)

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post

Comment

Would you post a link or a picture, por favor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                      Would you post a link or a picture, por favor?
                      Chicago Specialty Mfg Co Reseating Set 3100 4 Faucets Valves | eBay

Comment

Glad you won the auction. Still cannot find mine Lots of my smaller stuff got lost in that rollover wreck I was in back in 2004. But how lucky was it that when we talked about it in this thread one was on Ebay.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, I was lucky you were kind enough, and knew enough to look for a seat threading tool! I had never heard of such of thing until this thread. Now that the customer is hopeful their wall can be saved I just hope this thing works.

Comment

I actually have one of those I'll look for it and post up a photo ...

But I have to ask ... Who would pay for something like that ? not my cheap azz customers ...LOL

Comment

NoeEttica: In the shower is very nice 90 year old tile. Not replaceable. The backside wall behind the valve is a plaster, medieval style finish, which would be nigh impossible to replicate. I don't actually plan to charge the customer for the tool, which all said and done will only be $30. If I can repair/replace the valve seat the solution will not only save the customer a good chunk of $$ it will also save some history! What customer WOULDN'T pay for it under these circumstances?

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                              I actually have one of those I'll look for it and post up a photo ...

But I have to ask ... Who would pay for something like that ? not my cheap azz customers ...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X