Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Inspection

Just failed an inspection.

New 2 story crawlspace house.

All parts visible & accessible with almost zero crawling.

Inspector says "There is no water at all on any part of the washing machine DWV....I can tell by tapping on it...."

Kind of inspections I deal with every time.

Re: Failed Inspection

He's got a point. Gotta get the air out when you fill otherwise the bureaucrats will crucify you.

Comment

You don't give Us Your location ! If It's Alberta Canada with freezing weather ,It would be an air test on the DWV , NO WATER.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

where you present when the inspector showed up? sometimes you need to hold their hand

other times you need to grease their hand seen that on more than 1 occasion that i pre-inspect inspect for the owner.

rick,
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          He's got a point. Gotta get the air out when you fill otherwise the bureaucrats will crucify you.
          Don't think he does. Checked it myself that afternoon. No apparent air in the stack. Maybe we need to get together and calibrate our pipe sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            where you present when the inspector showed up? sometimes you need to hold their hand

other times you need to grease their hand seen that on more than 1 occasion that i pre-inspect inspect for the owner.

rick,
            No inspector gives times or even a time window. Could show up at anytime between 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. That's a fun way for us to try and plan our day, huh?

Comment

If they can't give a time here, you can request a phone call about an hour prior. Side note, if it is holding air, then there are no leaks.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

If he doesnt think there's water in the washing machine guide box then he wont have a problem taking the knock out loose

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  You don't give Us Your location ! If It's Alberta Canada with freezing weather ,It would be an air test on the DWV , NO WATER.
                  Here in Texas we have water restrictions and they are telling us that we are running out of water. Every time I bring up testing with Air instead of wasting the water for testing, they laugh at me. They claim to have proven that the air tests don't show the leaks. I agree that water will leak where air won't, but the inspectors don't walk the house a throughly as they should. It seems to me the Gauge would be easier for them and it would save MILLIONS Gallons a Month in Texas. How do they do it in Canada? 5 psi Gauge with a relief valve?
                  "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

air is great for t/i work and to prevent a potential wet blowout. but it can be a nightmare to test on large scale no hub jobs.

back in the late 80's we did a 200 unit 5 story apartment building and instead of a water test that would have had to be done in 2 levels. garage -3 and then 3-5 plus roof vents, we chose 5 psi air and do it all at once.

problem is the larger the system, the longer It takes for a leak to register on the gauge. plus you need to petty much soap test all the connections. took 2 apprentices about a week to test and fix. sure nobody got wet or flooded out, but it was very labor intensive for checking the system.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Victoria, Australia - Air testing down here too. I still liked the water test but..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We only do air but......... If you want to find leaks try pulling vacuum on the system
                        sigpic

Comment

this is funny stuff. I've never tested DWV. as far as I know our state inspectors are now making guys test DWV in certain areas that they have jurisdiction over.

none of our house's have sewage all over because of lack of tests. I say tile tub shower walls, penitrations on fiberglass tub showers and the crappy way we connect toilets to plumbing is the biggest culprit of water damage. oh ya roof flashings!!!!! but serously they want a test on DWV?
                          Last edited by saysflushable; 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Back in NC when I did new work they wanted water to 3' above the highest dwv fitting. And they did knock on every damned pipe.

Here? They would be horribly confused by a dwv test
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                              this is funny stuff. I've never tested DWV. as far as I know our state inspectors are now making guys test DWV in certain areas that they have jurisdiction over.

none of our house's have sewage all over because of lack of tests. I say tile tub shower walls, penitrations on fiberglass tub showers and the crappy way we connect toilets to plumbing is the biggest culprit of water damage. oh ya roof flashings!!!!! but serously they want a test on DWV?
                              What???? I have always had to test DWV system. In Stupid San Diego, they made us fill them up to flowing out the roof vents back in 2003. Most of it was ABS and it was hard to get a DWV abs fitting to hold that kind of water weight. I did the math on one of the houses and the inspector didn't believe me and didn't care. Glad TX uses PVC.
                              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Working...
                              X