Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunnel Job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Tunnel Job?

    very nice job jay. very nice documentation

    the digging only took 8 hours x 2 guys, very quick. how long did it take to put back the dirt and compact to 94%

    but without reading the entire thread again. why not cut the slab and do a spot repair?

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Tunnel Job?

      Outstanding video.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Tunnel Job?

        You Two are ANIMALS ! Great video,and work. Did You have a Geo Tech on site to test as You filled and compacted? Cone Penetrometer used ? Thanks Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Tunnel Job?

          Thanks for the video and the info, good job on puting the video together,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Tunnel Job?

            That is a nice job. what a bunch of work. Thanks for the video.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Tunnel Job?

              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              very nice job jay. very nice documentation

              the digging only took 8 hours x 2 guys, very quick. how long did it take to put back the dirt and compact to 94%

              but without reading the entire thread again. why not cut the slab and do a spot repair?

              rick.
              Most slabs here are post tension cables and very inconsistent. You will find places 3" thick to 18" for no reason other than sloppy work. Very difficult to bid. This particular customer had just sank about $20,000 into a bathroom remodel, and the leak was below the brand new cabinets and then under hand scrapped hardwood floors. She didn't want to go through the remodel process again. The dirt backfill took us about 12-16 hours, and we were getting after it. I am still feeling the pain.
              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Tunnel Job?

                Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                You Two are ANIMALS ! Great video,and work. Did You have a Geo Tech on site to test as You filled and compacted? Cone Penetrometer used ? Thanks Tool
                Things are done a little different here. In Texas it is built Bigger, but not Better. The engineer came out and looked at our spoils, and calculated it that way. Having worked in California and have had Geo done, I knew how to pack it. The engineer was impressed, but I am not. We have a very heavy Clay overburden here that sits on rock. It averages about 8' deep. Rather than put piers in during new construction, these guys push the clay up into a level pad, run over it with a tractor a few times, then dig the outside foundation 24" deep x 18" wide, maybe one footing north and south, and east and west, then add post tension cables and pour. The problem is that the clay moves violently here. Keeping a perfect moisture of the soil around the foundation is critical, and controlling slab leaks. It is really a joke. Its like balancing 35 tons on top of a giant sponge.
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Tunnel Job?

                  JAy I do like Rick's idea but would only do it if the Engineer would sign off. Dont know if you have ever cut a cable but it lets you know big time when you do. Just as a question outside the box what liability do you guys now have in relation to the foundations of the house. I know it is a shocking thing to ask andI am sorry. It is hard to get out of the Lawyer mentality. As I have said before the biggest growing business here appears to be the dig a hole so i can fall in it and sue your a--- off for big bucks. The filth advertise no win no fee which shpuld be shut down under false advertising too.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Tunnel Job?

                    Jay picking up on your comment about moisture around foundations. Do you actually set moisture systems of sort around foundations. Over here they used to preach but no one would explain how what or why. Love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this part even in another post if need be

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Tunnel Job?

                      Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                      Things are done a little different here. In Texas it is built Bigger, but not Better. The engineer came out and looked at our spoils, and calculated it that way. Having worked in California and have had Geo done, I knew how to pack it. The engineer was impressed, but I am not. We have a very heavy Clay overburden here that sits on rock. It averages about 8' deep. Rather than put piers in during new construction, these guys push the clay up into a level pad, run over it with a tractor a few times, then dig the outside foundation 24" deep x 18" wide, maybe one footing north and south, and east and west, then add post tension cables and pour. The problem is that the clay moves violently here. Keeping a perfect moisture of the soil around the foundation is critical, and controlling slab leaks. It is really a joke. Its like balancing 35 tons on top of a giant sponge.
                      It sure is interesting working and living around the country. Different locals require different practices. One I have no interest is building on PERMAFROST IN Alaska !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Tunnel Job?

                        Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                        Most slabs here are post tension cables and very inconsistent. You will find places 3" thick to 18" for no reason other than sloppy work. Very difficult to bid. This particular customer had just sank about $20,000 into a bathroom remodel, and the leak was below the brand new cabinets and then under hand scrapped hardwood floors. She didn't want to go through the remodel process again. The dirt backfill took us about 12-16 hours, and we were getting after it. I am still feeling the pain.
                        Now You know what" MARINE BOOT CAMP IS !! SEMPER BROTHERS ! "
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Tunnel Job?

                          Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                          Jay picking up on your comment about moisture around foundations. Do you actually set moisture systems of sort around foundations. Over here they used to preach but no one would explain how what or why. Love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this part even in another post if need be
                          Most people set up soaker hoses around the house and then put them on a timer to an outside faucet. I added a sprinkler controller and tied it into that. The hardest part, in my opinion, is to get the soil to the right moisture. They claim for our area that it is more a dampness that you are trying to achieve. I have used a moisture meter in the past to set it. Currently, our pressure increased and now I have to add a regulator for my soaker hoses. It appears that 125psi, blows them to pieces.
                          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Tunnel Job?

                            Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            JAy I do like Rick's idea but would only do it if the Engineer would sign off. Dont know if you have ever cut a cable but it lets you know big time when you do. Just as a question outside the box what liability do you guys now have in relation to the foundations of the house. I know it is a shocking thing to ask andI am sorry. It is hard to get out of the Lawyer mentality. As I have said before the biggest growing business here appears to be the dig a hole so i can fall in it and sue your a--- off for big bucks. The filth advertise no win no fee which shpuld be shut down under false advertising too.
                            I actually just cut a cable Monday on a different project, We didn't even know we hit it. Just dumb luck on this one. It cost $650.00 for the repair including engineer letter. As far as liability, it would be very difficult to prove. We are going under there to fix a break, and can anyone say for 100% that future foundation issues were not caused by the leak in the first place. This is also why we have an engineer sign off on it. They are assuming the responsibility, I am just the dumb plumber/laborer that did what they said to do. We do carry 2 million liability, but that is because I work for a few Cities that require it. In California, I would never even have attempted this. I also try to choose customers wisely. I have to Say NO to a lot of people. Some of them have never been told No before, but they are getting used to it. In some cases, it makes them even want me more.
                            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Tunnel Job?

                              Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                              I actually just cut a cable Monday on a different project, We didn't even know we hit it. Just dumb luck on this one. It cost $650.00 for the repair including engineer letter. As far as liability, it would be very difficult to prove. We are going under there to fix a break, and can anyone say for 100% that future foundation issues were not caused by the leak in the first place. This is also why we have an engineer sign off on it. They are assuming the responsibility, I am just the dumb plumber/laborer that did what they said to do. We do carry 2 million liability, but that is because I work for a few Cities that require it. In California, I would never even have attempted this. I also try to choose customers wisely. I have to Say NO to a lot of people. Some of them have never been told No before, but they are getting used to it. In some cases, it makes them even want me more.
                              Jay sorry for harping on this. Unfortunately like most things in life and business we always bring the Legal into it. Why cant we just go back to the good old days when we laid out the details to the client with the perceived pros and cons and decisions made. If it goes to trash let the Insurance kick in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X