X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backflow Protection?

Does a backflow device really provide protection for a resident and/or business?

Re: Backflow Protection?

Yes
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

in theory it does. the principals are all there.

but in reality for the problem to occur in the first place, is pretty far and few between.

prime example are the back flow preventer's on pull out faucets.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

My contact at our county water authority is a high-up and basically said that the backflow prevention devices work, they are a money maker and feel-good devices for people and companies, too,

BUT...

... people dont realize that it's very easy to pull up to any hydrant, connect, and pump in any kind of agent. Bio-chemical terrorism at its worst.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It is easy to find these horror stories on line. There is a really good explanation of how and why on YouTube. It is an older retired plumber that made the video. When I get home I will try to find it and post.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            Does a backflow device really provide protection for a resident and/or business?
            Are you a licensed plumber? I only ask because an experienced plumber knows the answer to that question.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Are you a licensed plumber? I only ask because an experienced plumber knows the answer to that question.
              Yep. You ever ask a question you already know the answer too for certain reasons?

Comment

The answer is no. An RP, DC, PVB actually protects the water purveyor from cross contamination from a residence or business. Not the resident or business owner who paid to have it installed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                  The answer is no. An RP, DC, PVB actually protects the water purveyor from cross contamination from a residence or business. Not the resident or business owner who paid to have it installed.
                  What about the boilers? There are more.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

You got that right, it is to protect your neighbor from the water that has already passed through "your" backflow device. Once it goes through the meter the water company doe not want it back. My personal opinion is they work good for what they are, but it sure is funny how a small grain of sand will make them fail, go figure that one out. If you have seen the guts of most of them there is almost a knife edge sealing on an O ring, very very little sealing surface. Now an old swing check will have a sealing surface of maybe 1/4" wide and a rubber seat 1/4" to 1/2" thick, which will catch, hold and still seal off tight a grain or two of sand.

Comment

And it's interesting that everyone has been conditioned to just accept that municipal water providers require owners to install something that's primary purpose is to protect the provider. And maintain it. Have it annually inspected. And replaced if necessary.

Just an observation.

Comment

And it's interesting that everyone has been conditioned to just accept that municipal water providers require owners to install something that's primary purpose is to protect the provider. And maintain it. Have it annually inspected. And replaced if necessary.

Just an observation.
                        I thought that it was a mandate under the Ground Water Protection Act.
                        Thus an enforceable requirement.

Comment

I thought that it was a mandate under the Ground Water Protection Act.
                          Thus an enforceable requirement.
                          Could be. I haven't a clue honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            So NH, what is the answer you look for from your students?

Comment

Hell, if they show up on time and don't fall asleep in class I'm pretty happy But obviously the purpose of a backflow preventer is to protect the potable water supply upstream of the device. They are mandated under the ground water act. Many municipalities have mandated that their customers have it installed. Usually that includes a new meter and expansion tank as well around here. It is free where I live and the water company does the install. Their goal is to comply with the ground water act and get everyone on the new meters which can be read remotely.
                              Last edited by NHMaster3015; 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X