Going legit!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going legit!

Hi Guys! I've decided it's time to go legit and get my C-36. I live in the Bay Area, California. I've been working independantly and have been sub-contracted by G.C.'s over the past 3 years. I also have plumbing related experience from prior jobs.
    I'm looking for suggestions of which contractor plumbing schools I can attend in California to prep me for the C-36 exam.
    I don't claim to be a super experienced plumber, but I do have good work ethics in that if I'm not comfortable performing a job, I'll decline the work. Most of my work involved repipes and repairs. I was able to stay away from the nasty sewer back up jobs by being self employed.

I'm not familiar with any of the schools but agree the school is worth the effort. The hardest part of the exam, for a plumber who already knows the Codes, is the paper work. Generally the schools will have a service which will insure the paper work is properly filled out.

In addition to the Codes the test will have questions on OSHA regulations, business accounting and labor laws. Often some one like yourself has never had to worry about any of that. If you pay attention the school will teach you more than just plumbing.

If I was going to spend a bunch of money on a school I would probably sit outside of the school and ask some questions of the students leaving the school.

Good luck - Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i also live in the bay area. i do my plumbing under my gen. b license. passed the c-36 than the clb. wouldn't accept my contracts including any plumbing work.

will explane if you want to e-mail me. tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

plumb crazy, the school is just a way to pass the test. in my experience they are there to drill you on the questions and answers. it's like they had the identical test and you go over the thing until you pass. that's how most of them offer a pass, don't pay thing.
        as far as learning what you were taught, good luck. many years ago i attended a night course on contractors law. here they taught you the business, law side of the trade. check with some of your local community colleges or night schools.

rick.

Comment

I had to pass what is called a "competency test". Only a fraction of the test had any relevence to electrical work. Yet even after getting a 98% on my final since i only missed one question, due to fatig. I still had to pass this state test. At least this time we didn't have questions like how many truck loads of cememnt do you need for a slab of concrete 13' wide 22' long and 6" thick? Who writes these tests? since we were using computers and had multipule choice questions, that led to more problems. On one C and D were the same answer yet 2 people in the class got it wrong. I said C another D and we were both wrong. A 3rd guy answered C and got it right!

So should we really be the ones taking this competency test?
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224:
            At least this time we didn't have questions like how many truck loads of cememnt do you need for a slab of concrete 13' wide 22' long and 6" thick?
            One truck load, unless of course you have a really old truck from the sixties which only held 4-yards.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Where were you last year when i needed that answer!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
              X