X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loving my new OLD truck

Two months ago I bought a 1992 dodge ram 4x4 cummins with a 12' aluminum cube box it had 316000km on it when I bought it. Now that its shelved and stocked and running like a champ. I cant beleive I ever worked out of my 03 ram 2500 shortbox. All in al the trucks 20 years old im only 6 years older then it but I must say its so nice to have stock and all my misselanous tools and fittings on board. I had to put new brakes and 10 ply directional hankook winters "hurt buying 6" rear springs were a little sagged so I put firestone airbags in the back and some little repairs front end ect. Im in to it for about 10 grand but its getting about 24mpg so lot better then my 03 hemi. Anyways il post some pics but its so nice to have a portable shop.

Re: loving my new OLD truck

Those old VE pumped cummins in those trucks didn't have a whole lot of power, but economy and reliability are quite impressive. Does it have a manual or auto transmission? Is it the intercooled version or not?

Comment

Oh, and since you have a loaded box on it, invest a couple bucks in a pyrometer. They are inexpensive, and install the heat probe pre-turbo in the y-collection point of the manifold. It's cheap insurance. Cylinder 6 on these engines is usually the hottest and usually the one that fails when the exhaust temps get too toasty. Usually any sustained pull over 1500* is not a good idea, but if your truck is still stock and fuel rates haven't been messed with, it probably isn't an issue.

Comment

It's intercooled and allready got the pyro kit just not installed yet. It's an auto with overdrive the truck came with another tranny but the guy I got it from didn't know much about it. So I dropped it at a tranny shop and asked them to go through it and do what they feel needs to be done. It also has a power take off not sure what ill use it for but nice option I guess. It was originally sold as a cab and chassis so insurance couldnt give me a bleubook value. I paid 7000$ for it which I felt was fair the box is all aluminum made in 2001 so I figured it probally wasn't cheap. Anyways so nice to pull up ready for almost anything.

Comment

Post up a PIC if you dont mind, like to see it. I have thought about loosing the box and trying to find a utility box or cub box for my 01. Its a 3/4 ton though, so I'd have to look into duallies for it, not to mention probably dealing with DOT regulations.... blah blah blah... anyway, Hope it works out good for ya. Mine has 317k miles on it, and just had the engine pulled and new seals, head gasket, o-rings, studs, main and rod bearings and a few other things a month ago. I didnt need to have it pulled, but the oil leaks were getting bad, glad I did though, as the bearings had probably another 20-40k miles left in them. Cylinders and rings all looked great, like new, impressive if you ask me.

Comment

I'll take a few pictures tommorow if I get a chance.

Comment

My Plumbing Remodel truck is a 92' Dodge Ram with Reading utility Shell. One of the better choices I have ever made. Was cheap and gets the job done.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	22f1123581189e1cdc865d8b670cab00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	16845Click image for larger version

Name:	cbca2e16f02797cad8f1acfe67caad53.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	16843
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2808d84788ccaaa478a5e91e3d57301b.jpg
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	16846Click image for larger version

Name:	e3f97980b1b119f954cd972e03405092.jpg
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	16847

My 1992 Dodge cummins 4x4 box truck, getting old but runs great getting 20mpg plus I live in the mountains of the Kootenays pretty impressed with this Gem. slowly getting it shelved and figured out lots of room for improvement. Box is twelve feet and all aluminum it was made in Surrey 2001 needs a paint job but thts fairly minor. Its a beast but fits me needs nicely the local sparky got a Dodge 2500 sprinter thats fairly impressive but I got no payments and more room then the local purolator tuck.
                Last edited by seanny deep; 11-16-2012, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X