X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Double Edged Sword

As many of you know my err...former company... was a band of hacks. This was my morning:

Arrive, fill out paperwork, wait for distribution of work orders. Boss wants to talk. Get told 'Money has been tight. I (the boss) have been taking calls and it seems to be cutting some costs. In order to make ends meet I have to lay you off.' Sadly, this guy had tried for 6 years to get me to come to his company. Now this.

Tell you guys what, it's almost a damn blessing. My health has been deteriorating from the stress of trying to grow this company with customers saying (yelling) about the exorbitant flat rate pricing [no flame wars!] and the extreme number of callbacks from the hacks. My coworker had no idea and almost pooped a cinder block...now everything falls on him...still with the boss and his son lumbering around aloofly like kids with crayons.

On the ride home the office manager/dispatcher/accountant let it all out. The boss is in too deep with trying to pay off the former owner. He needs about 50k to make ends meet. My yearly income - $48,600. Imagine that! He also said that insurance costs are skyrocketing (not health ins.- i didn't have that). The more the company made, the more the insurance went up. Being the only tech that sold much that made me prime target #1 (there's only 2 techs).

On the other side - I was told it was nothing against me, my performance and attitude were fine. Heck, I made $15k for the company in the last 1.5 weeks and I averaged $9k weekly, even in the slow winter. Unemployment should be no problem and I can get a good reference.

Maybe I'm old, but I hate change and hate looking.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: The Double Edged Sword

So sorry to hear that. It's really difficult to work for a company whose standards are below your own. You will either go out on your own or find a company who meets your standards. I wish you luck!

Comment

I love having employees that can turn $9000 a week in work. Subtract a plumber's salary, benefits, vehicle, insurances, materials and how much is left? $2000? $3000? More?

David

Comment

Wow! That sucks. $9000 a week is a great sales# Unless they are tankless installs or high in Material. I worked for a crappy company back in San Diego for a whole 3 months and left. It was a Joke. $48,600 is low for where you are. If you are thinking of going out on your own, It's not a good time. I have 3 companies that I am friends with and I begged them not to go on their own. Unless you have $75,000-$150,000 in the Bank, it is tough. They tried anyway. One is out and the other two cry every time I see them.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

if you can get yourself established in the neighborhood. you will never look back.

get your own contractors license and start doing the work no one else wants. build up your reputation and the phone won't stop ringing. it takes some time to get to the point of turing away work and traveling under 5000 miles a year. but it will happen to you. best of luck and you know where to turn for moral support and help.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Can't predict the future, but it seems like a blessing to you. You are the first one off a sinking ship.

Comment

The problem with this guy is he bought the company. He "didn't build that!" and wants to get rich quick. The roofing crew is losing their collective butts on the primary job and then worse with the callbacks. Profits I, and the other tech, make then go to support that failing side. There are now more roofs to be finished than he has labor to do....greed... I've been in companies like this before. So, as Bob said, I'm first off the Titanic.

My sales weren't always huge, but they were honest sales. Sales that any other contractor could verify. I know I was covering all my pay, plus insurance and truck costs, with a hefty profit left over. If the guy truly is hurting that badly I guess I'm happy to be gone.

I have pondered starting out on my own. I don't have a truck or large amounts of cash in the bank, though, and that makes it very difficult. I already carry a large liability policy. Time...it will take time

Thanks, guys (n gals if any) for listening. I love this forum.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                The problem with this guy is he bought the company. He "didn't build that!" and wants to get rich quick. The roofing crew is losing their collective butts on the primary job and then worse with the callbacks. Profits I, and the other tech, make then go to support that failing side. There are now more roofs to be finished than he has labor to do....greed... I've been in companies like this before. So, as Bob said, I'm first off the Titanic.

My sales weren't always huge, but they were honest sales. Sales that any other contractor could verify. I know I was covering all my pay, plus insurance and truck costs, with a hefty profit left over. If the guy truly is hurting that badly I guess I'm happy to be gone.

I have pondered starting out on my own. I don't have a truck or large amounts of cash in the bank, though, and that makes it very difficult. I already carry a large liability policy. Time...it will take time

Thanks, guys (n gals if any) for listening. I love this forum.
                I have started two different companies with a shoe string budget. It was very tough and took about 3 years with the first and about 5 years with the second to make it. I am married to a C.P.A. so that helped me out a bunch. However, I wish that I had taken out a loan while I was still working for someone else. It is very difficult to get loans when you are on your own. Also, word of advice. DON'T TRUST ANYONE with your finances. If you don't know how, then learn how to do taxes, state forms, etc. Even if you decide to hire someone, like a C.P.A. to help you, you will want to be able to check the data. I am shocked at how many business fail, due to these issues.
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

To tread the unfamiliar is a dreadful thing to do. I wish you the best of luck in the coming days.

BandSaw Blades Online - Custom Welded Band Saw Blades

Comment

Well Punky,
                    I think it was a blessing in disguise. You have sowed good seeds and that is what you shall reap. Look for doors to be open and opportunities will come your way.. You will have to choose which one you want. You won't have to "beat the bushes" for work...

Comment

Working...
                    X