X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn In an Inspector?

Got called to price a remodel job that's incomplete.

I counted 6 code violations in about 30 seconds. Job has passed rough-in inspection by current inspector and the permit is still active.

Inspector used to work with the plumber that "passed" this inspection and has been a stickler on other jobs for other plumbers I know.

Do I take pictures of the job, get copies of the passed rough-in permit, and submit them to the state?

What would you do?

Re: Turn In an Inspector?

Have you had issues with this inspector before? If not, then why bother, is it really taking food off our plate? It's sad, but in this world it's who you know, not what you know.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

well if im expected to follow the rules, but others arent, i guess there's no need for inspectors. i'd report him. he's wasting someone's tax dollars.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

If you plan on reporting, be ready. Every time that I have contacted the State, they look closely at me. So far, nothing turned up. I try to do the right thing. If you plan on working in the town, then you may have to consider that. I have successfully helped 3 inspectors out the door in two different States. I found the best thing to do, was to contact the City offices for that inspector. If you approach them with respect, courtesy, and patience, then action will be taken. Careful calculation on your part is required. The worse thing for any of us is to have a P.O. inspector that you have to work with.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

i did 1 better. the head building inspector for the entire city of los angeles was on a morning radio talk show several years back. i called in and let him have it on the air. it was so 1 sided that he was stumped and took my number off the air to have his deputy inspector call me later.

6 weeks later i got the call. basically nothing accomplished. the city is not there to fully inspect the structure. they are there to make sure it doesn't fall down during a quake. everything else is up to the contractor to do things right.

but boy did i roast him on the radio. he's no longer or chief as he was eventually fired due to other issues that made headlines.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
            Have you had issues with this inspector before? If not, then why bother, is it really taking food off our plate? It's sad, but in this world it's who you know, not what you know.
            Some issues, yes. Others have had them as well. And with the whole inspection department. They are not there in any way to be co-operative. Always kind of combative.

Example: Did a remodel for someone that was opening a weight loss center of some sort. No national name as I recall. Plumbing wise, I was installing two sinks and an undercounter water heater. That's it. The owners met with the inspections planning department to go over everything and begin permitting. I personally met with this plumbing inspector twice because I know how crazy they all can be. Went over what was being done and asked if they had any special requirements.

Had to have PRV, TXT, and Double Check Backflow to install these fixtures. Older building. Owners had at least 2, maybe 3 meetings, and were finally granted their permits. I go in the next day to get mine and they say.....

"Well, what are you doing there?"
            Me: "Two sinks and a water heater?"
            "We want more info about what goes on"
            Me: "Some weight loss center. The owners have met..."
            "Well, were not issuing you any permits...."

I go off on them. Then, magically, I'm issued a permit. This is typical for this city. Nice, polite, open to suggestion, wanting to work together, never ever works.

Comment

Well, Lets put any history aside. Isn't Your job, Plumbers job, and inspectors job to protect the public ? Yes, Maybe some Lil one will become Ill because of a code violation !
              EZ CALL. Another thought . Should an electrician make a call on an electrical Hazard on the same home ?
              Last edited by toolaholic; 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                If you plan on reporting, be ready. Every time that I have contacted the State, they look closely at me. So far, nothing turned up. I try to do the right thing. If you plan on working in the town, then you may have to consider that. I have successfully helped 3 inspectors out the door in two different States. I found the best thing to do, was to contact the City offices for that inspector. If you approach them with respect, courtesy, and patience, then action will be taken. Careful calculation on your part is required. The worse thing for any of us is to have a P.O. inspector that you have to work with.
                You're My hero Jay ! A stand up Man, not a lot of that going around these days.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The bad thing is he can fail the job later if he wants. Put in the money to fix it. Save the grief of the inspector from all aspects.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I can't understand or go along with how some take the position of "Don't make the inspector mad. Don't rock the boat. Not worth it in the long run."

Especially in this situation. I'm not talking about 1 obscure code violation that anybody could catch one time and miss the next. I found 6 in 30 seconds and this work from the plumber that worked at the same shop as the inspector PASSED. Meanwhile the same inspector is putting it to the letter on others. I'll do what I'm gonna' do, just don't understand some that would basically roll over and act like it's ok.

Comment

Turning in inspectors seems to have no affect what-so-ever, unless there is a lawsuit involved. Even lawsuits are not a guarantee to get the results you want in the end.

Over the past 2 years, there is a local story in the paper about a builder who built apartments that had MAJOR code violations, and it still passed inspections. Lawsuits are involved, and nowhere in the stories over the past 2 years, do you hear of any inspector getting fired,sued, or held accountable for this disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        I can't understand or go along with how some take the position of "Don't make the inspector mad. Don't rock the boat. Not worth it in the long run."

Especially in this situation. I'm not talking about 1 obscure code violation that anybody could catch one time and miss the next. I found 6 in 30 seconds and this work from the plumber that worked at the same shop as the inspector PASSED. Meanwhile the same inspector is putting it to the letter on others. I'll do what I'm gonna' do, just don't understand some that would basically roll over and act like it's ok.
                        And I don't understand why you want to go poking him. You can still change it to your satisfaction, get paid and finish the job. There is no worrying about it, you get your money. Why start screwing with someone that will just make life difficult from now on. The state will side with the inspector as professional courtesy and make sure the work is corrected. Now if you have that big of a hard on for this guy, go ahead. You will have your name mentioned to every other inspector as a trouble maker.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Grasshopper want to know, what is inspector ??

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                            And I don't understand why you want to go poking him. You can still change it to your satisfaction, get paid and finish the job. There is no worrying about it, you get your money. Why start screwing with someone that will just make life difficult from now on. The state will side with the inspector as professional courtesy and make sure the work is corrected. Now if you have that big of a hard on for this guy, go ahead. You will have your name mentioned to every other inspector as a trouble maker.
                            You could be dead right. This assumes the whole system is corrupt though.

I don't have a hard on for the guy at all. Just for everyone to be treated equally and fairly. If that gets me labeled a troublemaker, I'll take that all day as opposed to taking a blind eye to things and going along to get along.

Someone has to stand for what's right once in awhile in all aspects of life. Whatever negativity comes with that, comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                              You could be dead right. This assumes the whole system is corrupt though.

I don't have a hard on for the guy at all. Just for everyone to be treated equally and fairly. If that gets me labeled a troublemaker, I'll take that all day as opposed to taking a blind eye to things and going along to get along.

Someone has to stand for what's right once in awhile in all aspects of life. Whatever negativity comes with that, comes with it.
                              I get where your coming from but why make trouble for you on someone else's job that you need to finish. If you weren't going to get your hands on the job, then turn it in. I just don't see why you want to pin yourself in a corner because of someone else. If I ere not allowed to fix it I wouldn't do the job. They are going to remember you as the plumber that did the job. That would be my concern.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X