X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carma

Had a customer I roughed in and did finishing on his new house three years ago bent over backwards to keep him happy long story short. Everytime he would try and nickel and dime you, and talk **** about every trade he had working there, along with the ones he didn't hire. A few months ago he calls 830 Thursday night you have to come help somethings wrong with your plumbing ended up Bering the tee in his septic tank was plugged so snaked it and after a hour and a half of effing around had it working and was getting ready to leave he asked me what he owed me I billed him 75$ .. pretty fricken fair if you ask me.. about half of what I'd normally charge .. anyways two weeks later I call him and finally get paid. Then my old boss calls to inform me one of my customers was hitching and complaing about me and saying I didn't have a clue of what I was doing and gougeing people ended up Bering this same guy he thought it backed up because I screwed something up.meanwhile I call septic installer. Turns out the homeowner installed the tank and connected it to my building drain. Anyways he calls me last night 20 to nine I have an emergency there's **** coming out of my floor drain. All buddy buddy , so I politely tell him NO I'm not coming to help you right now, he insists its an emergency and his wife can't wait till morning to use water. I tell him No I'm not coming out tonight .....period anyways he asks if il come out at six in the morning I ended up telling him I can come at ten but that's the best your getting on a Sunday stat holiday. Any one else in town I would have been there in twenty min , did I do the right thing or should I have just gone and charged him double time which I considered but at the end of the day iv always done my best and I felt like he took advantage of my kindness and hurt my pride.

Re: carma

It sounds like you did the right thing. I try to go with my gut feelings and Prayer. In the beginning of my business, I had to bite my tongue a lot, and I put up with a lot of Crap from Bad customers. Now, even in this economy, I realize that every time I work for someone who tries to take advantage of me, I am taking time away from a good customer that likes me. Some times, it is just a personality conflict. I don't know why? I can usually get along with everyone. I just had a customer last week that I have been on the fence about. I gave her a bid for repairs $5,000-$7,000. We came in at $6,000. They whined and moaned, and paid $5000.00. The other $1,000.00 they would have to mail. This person kept us on the porch and locked out from doing work during the project for about 3 hours total, and the job actually took a lot longer than I had expected. I could have easily charged the $7,000 for it, but I was trying to help them out. During this project, I probably turned down $10,000 worth of work from other people that like me. It was the end of October, and the sales were not shaping up. I panicked and took this job on, even though my gut feeling was don't. I hope to get the $1,000. Almost every time I talk to someone that has had a bad dealings with someone, they tell me there were early signs. It sounds to me like you avoided a nightmare. By the way, I don't do after hour calls any more, but when I did, you couldn't get me out for less than $250.00 per hour. That on-call crap messes with your head!!!!
    "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Three in a row. I would suggest that most of us here are total good guys who have a heart. Things like this above spoil for everyone because we feel like we have neen used. What I like is how they are quick to bag us and even quicker when they are in the proverbial. Got one recently, told him to contact the supplier and get a warranty on his fixture. Said this was too much and just wanted it fixed. Sent hom a bill, charged 3hrs instead of 4 and then got the "isnt this part of the warranty. didnt you check this when you did the install. We didnt think this was a fair charge, bit much dont you think". God damn, tried my heart out to handball to warranty and then get this BS. So i told him to take my bill and give it to the supplier. Down here I know what reaction he will get. Not in this world Charlie.........!!!!
      G
      Like most here have got plenty of other charity stories to tell. lastly I love the friends wh ring out of the blue under the pretext of "just thinking about you and how we havent spoken and we must catch up" befoer launching into the story of their problems. I too dont run for anyone anymore. Got screwed too many times and no one cares about us. We have the knowlege and qualifications and the rest are jealous that we are so talented. I say let them swin in their own BS. Last Sunday choke I got call on I quoted minimum charge of $450+ tax and that would be cash up front thankyou. Some other sucker got the pleasure of their C---.!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

BTW: The word is Karma.

As an old friend of mine used to say, "They name streets after people like him- One Way."
        Since we have the right to refuse service to anyone, I'd exercise that right next time he calls.

Comment

Had one recently. I installed a single handle faucet about 6 months ago. She calls me and says the set screw for the handle is gone and that it was never there to begin with? She says I need to come over and fix it right or replace the faucet? After calming her down I find out she tried removing the handle for some reason. What does that tell you? You know it, caught her in a lie. It was so obvious but she still kept insisting it was my fault and I needed to come over and fix it.
          I gave her the phone number for the faucet company and the part number for the set screw and told her good luck.

Comment

Re: karma

I think you did fine. What i have found is that the people you feel bad for or give breaks to are ALWAYS the ones to stick it and twist it. They talk sh1t, dont pay, call the boss and whine, etc etc. It's always a blast when they finally get theirs...the poo impacts the turbine...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Yeah, put a disposal in for a lady in the spring (April i think) Got called out to her house in September and "My kitchen faucet has been knocking ever since you installed the disposal".... Really? And you are calling 5 months later why?....... Well, uhhhhh, ok!?
              Go to check it out and sure enough, every time you turn the faucet on, the diverter knocks a few times. I took the faucet apart and tried a new diverter and i didn't solve the problem. After trying for at least 45 minutes to explain to her that they are two completely separate items that happen to be connected to the same sink she still insisted that me putting in her diposal caused the knocking and I need to check the disposal to see why. I'm normally good at being nice and holding my tongue but finally said "I will check anything in the house and stay as long as you wish for $80/hr but, the reality is that you NEED a new kitchen faucet.... this one is 40 years old and apparently past the point that a new diverter will stop your knocking noise so, what do you want to do?"
              Turns out she was putting her home on the market and had a home inspection which had mentioned this noise.... funny she never mentioned that until she realized that I wasn't going to play along. Ended up taking the diverter out completely to stop the noise and told her that if I were a buyer, I would look at that faucet and say to myself 'doesn't matter 'cause it's getting replaced!"

Comment

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I have said in the past " You have lost the use of My services "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good for you. You stood up for your ground
                    They do not deserve your time. Much more your expertise.

BandSaw Blades Online - Custom Welded Band Saw Blades

Comment

I worked for a great boss long ago and if he couldn't reason with the customer ...some customers you just can't please.... he would say I'm sorry but it seems I can't make you happy and you should look for a new plumber that will make you happy... the customer would try to get our plumbing company to do work again down the road....and my boss would say we no longer work for you.
                      is this legal? I was always a little scared about that.... how can you tell people you refuse to work for them... would this be discrimination? could a company be sued?

Comment

Originally posted by Any Small Job Plumbing View Post
                        I worked for a great boss long ago and if he couldn't reason with the customer ...some customers you just can't please.... he would say I'm sorry but it seems I can't make you happy and you should look for a new plumber that will make you happy... the customer would try to get our plumbing company to do work again down the road....and my boss would say we no longer work for you.
                        is this legal? I was always a little scared about that.... how can you tell people you refuse to work for them... would this be discrimination? could a company be sued?
                        Under federal law, "businesses can refuse service for almost any reason (or no reason) with exceptions. Those exceptions at the federal level are race, religion, gender, national origin, and disability/perceived disability (refusing service based on sexual preference does not violate any federal law). Some states have laws covering all these categories plus sexual preference, and some also include transgendered persons and transsexuals..

There is a narrow exception allowing legalized discrimination when the business has a bona fide business-related reason, such as when a fitness center chain targets only women on the theory some women would only be comfortable working out when there are no men present and the exercise equipment they provide is specifically targeted at women. Similarly, when an organization's main purpose is to prevent teen pregnancy and unmarried pregnancy, and then an unmarried employee/teacher gets pregnant, she can be fired even though normally firing a woman for being pregnant is illegal discrimination based on gender."

Comment

Thanks Plumbus
                          in this day and age I'm scared of being sued so I try not to upset anyone... but for the future when I get that feeling a customer is trying to pull the wool over my eyes I'll tell them I'm not taking any new customers at this time

Comment

Working...
                          X