Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean out wire, or brush to clean w.h. Burner holes ?????????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean out wire, or brush to clean w.h. Burner holes ?????????

Any preferences, and suppliers. I would like to learn how to properly adjust the flame on My Boiler also. Thanks
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Clean out wire, or brush to clean w.h. Burner holes ?????????

I am not a gas burner repairman by any means!!! But the heading in your post caught my eye about a wire to clean out the hole of a burner. Most welding supply shops carry tip cleaners for O/A torches, some are a small case with what looks like very small round files of different sizes, and then there is what looks like a pencil with a collet on one end and comes with several sizes of very tiny drill bits. Just a thought.

Comment

When you ask the question that way noooooooooo waaayyyyyy, it tells me you know little to nothing about what you are attempting.

The internet is no place to learn Boiler combustion methodology and I would not expect any sane person to try to teach it that way, of course Rick could come along any minute lol...

Tool, when it comes to tinkering with a boiler you would be better off hiring a pro and asking a lot of questions concerning your particular model:-)

As far as cleaning goes, a nylon bristle brush and compressed air go a long way with a nat gas boiler, if you are talking diesel or #2 burner absolutely call a pro even for cleaning.

Comment

Short of having a exhaust gas analyzer where you insert the probe into a hole drilled into the the exhaust stack on a #2 oil fired boiler the quickest way to get an approximate way to adjust or tune the shutters on the actual burner is to vary both shutters to the point where you get the brightest flame where it just starts to emit smoke/soot. Then just open the shutters on the burner itself until the smoke/soot goes away. Picked this quick tip from my oil company service guy in the early years when I first purchased the house before I eventually upgraded to a Peerless gas fired steam boiler. Procuedure above will get you in the ballpark but nothing beats having a actual exhaust gas analyzer to optimally adjust combustion on the Beckett burner. FYI whenever I have to pay for repairs I watch the "hired help" like a hawk, watch attentively, ask questions especially on R&R repairs. Saved a lot of money the 40 years I've lived in this one house.

Gas boilers are the way to go...practically no maintenance whatsoever but more importantly no smell which wife hates. Oil butners are going the way of the dinosaur but I still get a sense of pride remembering changing the oil filter, nozzle, vacuuming out the firebox and flues (ugh!). Best way to learn this is get a spare Beckett burner when a neighbor upgrades his heating system and tear it apart. Nothing hard and amazing on simple things come apart. Usual items which fail is the ignition transformer and burner motor...everything else never breaks...at least for me. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by swong View Post
          Short of having a exhaust gas analyzer where you insert the probe into a hole drilled into the the exhaust stack on a #2 oil fired boiler the quickest way to get an approximate way to adjust or tune the shutters on the actual burner is to vary both shutters to the point where you get the brightest flame where it just starts to emit smoke/soot. Then just open the shutters on the burner itself until the smoke/soot goes away. Picked this quick tip from my oil company service guy in the early years when I first purchased the house before I eventually upgraded to a Peerless gas fired steam boiler. Procuedure above will get you in the ballpark but nothing beats having a actual exhaust gas analyzer to optimally adjust combustion on the Beckett burner. FYI whenever I have to pay for repairs I watch the "hired help" like a hawk, watch attentively, ask questions especially on R&R repairs. Saved a lot of money the 40 years I've lived in this one house.

Gas boilers are the way to go...practically no maintenance whatsoever but more importantly no smell which wife hates. Oil butners are going the way of the dinosaur but I still get a sense of pride remembering changing the oil filter, nozzle, vacuuming out the firebox and flues (ugh!). Best way to learn this is get a spare Beckett burner when a neighbor upgrades his heating system and tear it apart. Nothing hard and amazing on simple things come apart. Usual items which fail is the ignition transformer and burner motor...everything else never breaks...at least for me. Hope this helps
          Have an old perma glass boiler , gas . Thanks
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[QUOTE=OkieBill;386107]When you ask the question that way noooooooooo waaayyyyyy, it tells me you know little to nothing about what you are attempting.

The internet is no place to learn Boiler combustion methodology and I would not expect any sane person to try to teach it that way, of course Rick could come along any minute lol...

Tool, when it comes to tinkering with a boiler you would be better off hiring a pro and asking a lot of questions concerning your particular model:-)

Comment

This is an interesting article. When you have a customer call and say "I want my water heater Maintenance service done" What do you do? Do you follow every letter of the Manufacturers instructions?

Tool, Is this just a standard water heater? When you say boiler, to me when I hear "boiler" that means something different.
              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                When you have a customer call and say "I want my water heater Maintenance service done" What do you do? Do you follow every letter of the Manufacturers instructions?
                If available, I read them. Yes, every letter gets followed. Many manufacturers are now inspecting warranty claims and the items associated with these claims to see if the procedures were followed. In many cases, if there is not proper documentation proving the procedures were followed, and by a qualified maintenance person, there is no warranty.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                  This is an interesting article. When you have a customer call and say "I want my water heater Maintenance service done" What do you do? Do you follow every letter of the Manufacturers instructions?

Tool, Is this just a standard water heater? When you say boiler, to me when I hear "boiler" that means something different.
                  On My own home I have radiant heat in slab with an old AO Smith Permaglass Hydronic boiler 1958
                  And My own water heater.

Comment

Working...
                  X