Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Placement of whole house filter

Before

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

I have seen a few instances where a filter after the softener would be helpful..

When a lower quality softener looses its membrane and dumps resin into your water heater and clogs every fluidmaster, angle stop and fixture in your house a filter after the softener would be good too...lol

Comment

we put them after the treatment system. inside is a 3 micron or smaller filter to catch remaining turbidity.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

before will help the softener out. also a good carbon filter will remove the chlorine.

after will ultimately protect the house plumbing if the resin gets loose.

you could install a cheaper filter post softener that's just spun yarn.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Around the 15 year mark of your water softener, is when you might see resin deposits floating around the Plumbing system. Seeing those deposits in the early stages means, the dolt who installed it, opened up the valve full force when initially filling the resin tank forcing the resin all over the place.

Gear Junkie, when you say whole house filter, are you talking sediment,carbon,Iron,sulfer etc...filter?

I personally would never put a sediment filter after the water softener, but I would install a carbon filter after the softener.

Comment

Here, it depends upon the type of system and water quality -

Well water - pressure tank, chlorine injection, mixing tank, sand filter, other chemical filter, carbon filter, water softener, post cartridge filter

City water - carbon filter, water softener, post cartridge filter

I was taught that chlorine and chloramines will deteriorate the resin in softeners. That's why the carbon goes before it.
                ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  I was taught that chlorine and chloramines will deteriorate the resin in softeners. That's why the carbon goes before it.
                  I was taught the same way as you, but I would rather sacrifice the resin in the resin tank, than bacteria or micro-organisms sitting in the resin tank or floating around the system. There are 2 schools of thought on that, and the second one scared me and I don't want to chance it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I was taught the same way as you, but I would rather sacrifice the resin in the resin tank, than bacteria or micro-organisms sitting in the resin tank or floating around the system. There are 2 schools of thought on that, and the second one scared me and I don't want to chance it.
                    so you could add a UV system after it all or use a WaterRight sanitizer softener that creates its own Chlorine and the resin is immune to it.
                    ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      so you could add a UV system after it all or use a WaterRight sanitizer softener that creates its own Chlorine and the resin is immune to it.
                      I know I could use a chlorine injector, but I don't have customers who wish to spend that type of money. It's a hard enough sell to get the softener in their home...let alone anything else.

Comment

All the softener/carbon systems I've installed ( desigined by others and purchased by customer ) have had carbon ahead of softener. On occasion softeners that I provide will have a KDF cartridge in the resin tank .

Would the brine that is residual in the resin tank inhibit bacteria growth? Smarter people than me design these systems. I'm sure some type of bacteria can grow in a salt enviroment but maybe not harmful. Not all bacteria are bad. Salt is used for preserving food. Just out loud rambling.

wookie

Comment

Working...
                        X