X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Useful?

Just wondering if others can think of a reason they would need this. I've been trying to think and can't come up with one for myself.

Would it be useful to you?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/FC-Cutters/EN/index.htm

Re: Is This Useful?

last year at the trade show, this was the only thing i actually purchased. it was a different brand, but looks like ridgid purchased the rights to it.

this cutter is incredible. i give it an 11 out of 10 it's that good.

the only draw back i can think of is if you're inside a cabinet on a fixed pipe, it might not swing. but in open space, there is nothing for any price that will come close to the ease, portability and cleanliness of this cutter.

it's the k-60 of plastic pipe cutters

i believe they will also make a 3'' and 4'' model. but you need a good hand grip to hold the pipe.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I wouldn't use one of those. I have never used cell-core or foam-core PVC and probably never will.

If I need to cut 1.5" or 2" schedule 40 PVC I use my Milwaukee m12 PVC shear.

Comment

Foam core pipe is the next Orangeberg!

I was not even aware that they made foam core pipe smaller then 3" but what do I know...

I'm sure some folks can get talked into buying anything or get hypnotized by Ridgid Orange but it really is about simplicity, why do I need a tool if another tool that I already have can do the job?

A Sawzall I have, why do I need a manual tool that uses a proprietary razorblade (consumable) that will continue to cost me money. I cant remember the last time I dulled a Sawzall blade cutting PVC.

Comment

Foamcore is the next Orangeburg? Don't understand this at all. Got some info?

We have miles of the stuff installed for decades without issue. No crushing problems when buried. (proper backfill of course). No joint breakdown.

Just never heard of a problem. Thanks.

Comment

foam core is pretty much all the supply houses now carry.

this tool is inexpensive and leaves no sawdust or burrs. cuts true and uses an ordinary exacto replacement blade. it weighs next to nothing, a few ounces and is inexpensive. a must have if you do plastic, especially indoor finish work. nothing to clean or sweep up.

don't knock the tool as everyone i've showed it to is very impressed. including a salesman i showed it too several months back. now keep in mind, the ones i have are not rigid orange, but i think they are the same design. the ones i purchased at the trade show were selling so fast that plumbers were standing in line to buy them. all it took was a hands on demo and they sold themselves. the only thing that comes close is the ridgid tubing cutter with the plastic cutting thin wheel. such as the 152-p cutter.

i will grab some more

once i see them on the shelves.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Who made the original?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

last year at the trade show, this was the only thing i actually purchased. it was a different brand, but looks like ridgid purchased the rights to it.

this cutter is incredible. i give it an 11 out of 10 it's that good.

the only draw back i can think of is if you're inside a cabinet on a fixed pipe, it might not swing. but in open space, there is nothing for any price that will come close to the ease, portability and cleanliness of this cutter.

it's the k-60 of plastic pipe cutters

i believe they will also make a 3'' and 4'' model. but you need a good hand grip to hold the pipe.

rick.

Then I guess you're either going to hate it or love it

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                  Foamcore is the next Orangeburg? Don't understand this at all. Got some info?

We have miles of the stuff installed for decades without issue. No crushing problems when buried. (proper backfill of course). No joint breakdown.

Just never heard of a problem. Thanks.

Errrrr Bob?.,,,LOL

Here is what I have been noticing with Foam core... The thin inner layer of PVC will ripple to the point that it will impede flow (in an already flat line), I have noticed this on a few camera jobs where I ended up digging it up. (I cant find any pix @#$%^).

I was always taught not to bury foam core pipe but it was a good time saver when topping out, though I have never seen it in any size smaller then 3" around here. I use it where I can doing repipes on crawl space houses.
                  Last edited by OkieBill; 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    Errrrr Bob?.,,,LOL

Here is what I have been noticing with Foam core... The thin inner layer of PVC will ripple to the point that it will impede flow, I have noticed this on a few camera jobs where I ended up digging it up and put 2 and 2 together. I will see if I can find some video or stills. give me a few...
                    Thanks. I try to keep up on most things. I've read testing issues and strange leaks some have had in other areas of the U.S.. From my experience and many other plumbers here I know though, we've not seen any of these issues.

Primarily Charlotte Pipe Foamcore and fittings are used here for DWV.

Comment

Thats it. I hate it.

Comment

So I has at HD today looking at refrigerators and stumbled across it. I'm a gear junkie so I bought it. Works good, the cut is about 1/16 from even. I use the traditional ratchet cutters and these are much better. Faster, cleaner cut and is able to get closer to the end. I believe it was 34 for the 1-1/2 and 2".
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have both the 2" and the 1-1/2" The only drawback I have found is that the cutting blade dulls and makes it real hard to hold onto the pipe, especially 2" You need a good supply of blades if you plan on using it regularly. They are pretty handy to have in a tool bag though. I wouldn't use them to rough in an entire house though. I still am going to set up the chop saw
                          sigpic

Comment

So I used it today under a house. Kept cutting in a corkscrew. Looked at the blade and it was bent just a little. Straightened it out and it did cut better but just not worth it imo. I'll stick to dependable japanese saw for cutting ABS. Oh well, wasted more money on worse things.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I still can't believe you guys use Foam Core for all DWV out there in Cali.

It's allowed under IL code here for gravity DWV, but I have not seen any installed or in the supply house.

Comment

Working...
                              X