X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date stamped cast iron

Never seen a pipe with a screwed in date stamp on it. Was this something the foundry did or the plumbers installing it?
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Date stamped cast iron

not really a screwed in date stamp. but a cast in date stamp at the foundry. fairly common with old school.

of course the new stuff is all labeled with paint from the factory.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

the date stamp was screwed on the pipe pattern and was cast into the pipe,

many old castings that used wood patterns had info or numbers screws to the pattern so it would be in the final cast product, (most were a little cleaner in appearance)

below is a picture of a transmission that is date coded in a similar way,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 11-25-2012, 02:06 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That could be from the days before spun pipe. I'm not sure when they changed over but I think it was in the late 50's
        when Tyler developed the machine for making spun CI pipe. Before then you could have pipe cast that had uneven
        walls. I'm sure you've run into it on occasion as other manufacturers still used the old process for a while adn there
        was a stockpile of pipe to be used up. When you go to cut it with snap cutters it crushes on the weak side or splits
        lengthwise. PITA it is. The date tag was the date the pattern was made, not the casting date so that mold that was
        made from that pattern could have been used into the 60s.

Probably see more if it here on the East coast I think as there are many more older installations.
        I've seen plenty of pipe from the early 1900s still in service in homes and businesses. We had a local (neighboring town)
        CI pipe foundry here that was ran for many years and was bought by Tyler in the 70s and ran until the 1970's when OSHA
        came along they couldn't (or wouldn't) comply and shut down. I had a friend who worked there when he got out of HS in '72
        untill they closed. At that point it was owned by Tyler Pipe who had bought up many small foundries and consolidated
        operations to one or two facilities in Texas and another state which I can't remember now.

Tyler Pipe does not have the cleanest record with OSHA. along with their sster companies that make up McWane, they had
        4600 injuried, 9 deaths, and a large number of OSHA violations between 1995 and 2003. Kennedy, which makes hydrants,
        is one of the worst.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 11-25-2012, 07:50 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X