Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie seeking advice

Hello all!

My name is Paul I'm 25 , and I am from Massachusetts. I have always been interested in plumbing as a career, but for whatever reason I never went with it. Finally I have decided to get into a career path that actually interests me.

Which brings me here,

Could you possibly provide me with some advice as to:

-Training (school's etc)
    -Breaking into the trade
    -more or less a clear view of what I need to do to start working.
    -also where can i get the most up to date code book, and is there a separate one for massachusetts or is it just a national book?

Anything you could provide would be more than appreciated.

Thanks!!

Paul

Re: Newbie seeking advice

You local inspections office can give direction as to what code is used for your area. They may use a national code book (IPC/UPC) with their own amendments to it. That can be a few pages or almost a whole other book.

You can find a lot of things by doing some searching and reading here as well.

Local community colleges may offer classes in the field.

And you can always try to get on with a plumbing shop or just a one-man-show plumber to learn some things.

Howard C. Massey has some good books to work with also.

Good luck!

Comment

Mass has their own code. The first thing you need to do is get a job working as an apprentice under a Master plumber and enroll in apprentice classes which IIRC would be 4 years and 600 classroom hours.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Mass has their own code. The first thing you need to do is get a job working as an apprentice under a Master plumber and enroll in apprentice classes which IIRC would be 4 years and 600 classroom hours.
        Now as far as working with a master, do i need to have any special cert's to start with or can i just start calling plumbing companies.

Comment

hey man,

Thats a good trade to take up. Now Im a tell you , I dont know to many millionaire plumbers, but I do know plenty who have made a great living for themselves. I think everyone has there own way of how they got their plumbing cherry popped. But for me it was simply just starting out as a good ol fashion apprentice. If I would you I would contact the local plumbing union and see about their apprenticeship program or if any local plumbng shops offer a program. I tell it was the best thing for me. Hopefully you get to study under someone that could really show you the ropes and the proper way to plumb. You make have to take an entry exam, so you can be certified as a apprentice. then they will issue you a card when you official. Also start picking up plumbing code books and how-to's so you can get familiar with the trade and tools. International Plumbing Code book and International Residential Codebook. are books I highly reccommend to keep with you. Hey man good luck.
          Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
          crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Working...
          X