Water Heater Code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Code?

OTHER than seismic areas, does your code require metallic piping for a certain distance on a water heater?

Re: Water Heater Code?

Code? /shrug. Cant remember. Inspectors? 18" if it's a gas heater, no requirement for electric
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Yes, it has to be 12" minimum and now for the water flex lines and now if the relief valve is on top of the water heater it has to be metal over the top. Also required:
      Pan no matter where its located
      Sediment trap on Gas
      Expansion device
      Dual wall vent all the way, if located in an unconditioned space
      Cannot reuse gas flex
      Union on Relief valve
      And, if the inspector can see light where the vent goes through the flashing, you will have to caulk it in. (Two story STEEEEEEEP Roofs)

UNLESS YOUR A HANDY MAN OR UNLICENSED, THEN DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT. I AM TIRED OF IT.
      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

No one else knows theirs? Here we are required to have 18" of metal on gas only.

Comment

Didn't want to chime in as I now work in CA. When I worked in VA, it was 18" as well.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            No one else knows theirs?
            It's not that. It's just that, well, frankly it don't matter, bro.
            95% of ours are elec. and there are no requirements.
            There are, however, more than a few other code requirements
            that are routinely ignored.
            Don't even get me started...

Comment

Here's why I ask, our code, and it appears many others say metal for the first 18". That means no ProPress for the first 18". Right? O-Ring ain't metal.

Pretty sure they will bust you for it here. Haven't checked with inspectors yet. Might be one of those things they haven't thought of 'til I bring it to their attention.

Comment

Oh, crap! The worms have left the can.

Comment

Are they allowing flexes in your area Bob? I wonder because the same would hold true for the washer in those
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    Are they allowing flexes in your area Bob? I wonder because the same would hold true for the washer in those
                    Correct. I honestly haven't ran into any flexes on a new or original plumbing install. Yet.

Comment

I wondered, when I was in your neck of the woods our inspectors didn't allow them, but it was apparently due to the thin pipe walls

Comment

Water flex's are very rare around here, they just don't work. Our water temps fluctuate so much it destroys the rubber washers. In the winter the water is so cold they shrink and then leak. Propress is different in the way they're installed as that it doesn't use a rubber washer or oring. It's a different material vs rubber. ALL of my water heater installs gas or electric are ProPress hard piped. 3/4" Propress female adapters right from the water heater. Propress ball valves and fittings. It's been a few years now and no leaks, no problems with inspections.

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        Here's why I ask, our code, and it appears many others say metal for the first 18". That means no ProPress for the first 18". Right? O-Ring ain't metal.

Pretty sure they will bust you for it here. Haven't checked with inspectors yet. Might be one of those things they haven't thought of 'til I bring it to their attention.

Comment

We're in Earth Quake Country. Our Gas W.H. are in the garage. I install 50 Brad. White, No Nox. New, full port water valve,to get rid of old Gate valve. 2 heavy straps. copper flex feeds , Change out old chimney from 3" to 4". 24" pan . WHY 18" stand with no nox, You say ? This gives Me fall to dump Pan PVC and copper T+P through siding . Most folks have
                          something on the garage floor that would get damaged if a tank rusted out. Not all generals are Hacks, just most!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I miss slamming water heaters in garages. Ahhh the good old days back in Marin and S.F.. Now they're all in basements for me here. Way back when I was young and would throw one on my back and carry it in the garage, have it done in less than an hour. A couple sheet rock screws for the new EQ straps etc. who would ever find out right???? LOL, yup we had no idea back then.
                            Water heater installed with the new eq straps, $299.99 total job. Funny to think back on those days.
                            Then the 89 quake hit, things changed after that. Things got a bit more serious.

Comment

flexes are for hacks. it's 18" here with no strapping, even though we have an earthquake we can feel about bi-annually
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X