Fluidmaster Pro 45B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluidmaster Pro 45B

Other then the brass shank, red cap and different box....what is the difference then the big box version that happy homeowner can get?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Fluidmaster Pro 45B

That's just it...they can't buy it retail...yet.
    I guess it's supposed to make them (or us) feel special.

Comment

Pulled another one last week with a hairline on the plastic shank. I know there's probably millions installed, but I don't know why we accept the plastic shank as good enough.

I always considered plastic shank faucets garbage and most every plumber I know agreed. Probably what will end up with exclusively with lead laws being the excuse.

Comment

I don't think there is any other differences and so far the public can't buy them....It all I supply and more due to the fact that the plastic shanks are becoming more of a problem.....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

here's the deal. i was invited to the fluidmaster marketing research for this product probably 6 months before it came to market.

the real issue is that old school plumbers feel better when it's made of brass.

the only ballcocks i've had issues with were factory installed by kohler and factory overtightened. that or it's the little rubber flow reducer that created a velocity issue around the interior of the shank.

the "pro" line was made to give the plumber a way of trying to convince the homeowner why the box stores 400a ballcock at $7.00 is not the same as their "pro-45" or "pro-45b" ballcock and therefore they can charge anything they want. pretty much a marketing gimmick that fluidmaster did so the plumber didn't have to compete with the home centers.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the only ballcocks i've had issues with were factory installed by kohler and factory overtightened.
            rick.
            Rick
            I thought you've had problems with Toto's ballcocks.

Comment

Fluidmaster Pro45B available at HD Supply (Home Depot) for $10.99, so much for being exclusive to plumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                Fluidmaster Pro45B available at HD Supply (Home Depot) for $10.99, so much for being exclusive to plumbers.

sad face......oh wait....we have a lowes here.....
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  Rick
                  I thought you've had problems with Toto's ballcocks.
                  yes toto / hunter ballcocks are junk. i've had entire water mains shake like an earthquake and it was because of a toto ballcock.

but what i was talking about in this thread are the shanks of a plastic ballcock splitting. those have been 99% on kohler ballcocks both fluidmaster and 1b1x style. factory overtightening and i believe that the flow restrictor had a lot to do with it.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I honestly can't remember the brands of the ones I've ran into with hairline cracks in them. Too much in go mode and get it done I guess.

Still don't know why professionals have gladly accepted this lower quality as good enough when they would avoid a plastic shank faucet at all costs. Any of us can make a plastic shank work, but the tolerances are lower, and therefore your liability higher.

Comment

I've never had a fluidmaster split on me and that's pretty much all I install. I don't think customers really care what you put in their tank just as long as it works so I'm not going to spend the extra four bucks for the brass shank. I like giving options to my customers for upgrades such as faucets, toilets, water heaters etc. But for fill valves? Nah,, They're nice looking but like I said once that lid goes on it's over.

Comment

99% of all new toilets come with a plastic shank.

most toilet flex conectors are a plastic nut for the ballcock. hard to even find a brass ballcock nut on a flex line.

i find nothing wrong with a plastic ballcock.

i do find brass $400 oem ballcocks a joke. more parts to leak and tinker with.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Can't lie, put plastic shanks in myself at times. And never had one split on me that I recall. I have replaced them multiple times with the hairline fracture. Some of them had the flex with the soft rubber connector too and not too tight.

You're right too about customers not caring. Could be made of bamboo for all they care.

It's just an observation about the double standard I see from many plumbers. At least here.

So I ask those that are completely fine with the plastic shank: If given the same choice on a faucet, you will always choose a plastic shank over a brass one, right?

Comment

I've been using the Pro 45B and pairing it with the Wolverine Brass flex supply with the metal nut. I've only seen one plastic shank split but I've seen plenty of the plastic flex supply nuts split or the bottom popped out from over tightening.
                            Another thing I've seen several times is the plastic stem of the 400a inside the tank snap right off usually due to someone having put chlorine tabs in the tank. I will tell you, the top of that ballcock will shoot to the ceiling like a missile when you take the lid off the tank.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

For the same reasons we accept and even defend pex, pro press, Ava's, flexi supplies etc. it's either fast, cheap or easy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X