Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
    Bill
    Why didn't you ask your question at the electrician forum on this site?
    The question was really directed to plumbers about how they felt about their gas lines being grounded into the houses electrical system.

Comment

I'll be sure to ask the electricians when I want to calculate flow rate and head pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Not to split hairs but that "Bond" is connected to the ground bus in the panel so it is a Ground but since a gas line is not designed to carry current we call it Bonded...
        Correct it is "connected" to the bus bar, but the bonding is not the ground. Also it is against code to use the gas system as a grounding electrode.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
          I'll be sure to ask the electricians when I want to calculate flow rate and head pressure.
          They don't know how to do that either.

Comment

it's really a moot point. think about the gas appliances you have at the house. range, cook top, dryer, water heater, furnace, etc. they are all connected to electrical and i guarantee you if you take a continuity tester, the ground connector will show continuity to the gas piping with little resistance. the water heater cold water will also be conductive to the gas. unless you actually have dielectric's that actually work.

it's more repetitious than anything else. older installations never required a dedicated jumper bonding wire to the gas piping.

codes have changed and for the better or worse, it's now required.

just think about the poor apprentice electrician who had to bond 544 gas systems on the last new construction project i did. not to worry as we also had to run dedicated cold water lines into their electrical rooms for them to ground their panels too.

it's a give and take and in the construction world.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              it's really a moot point. think about the gas appliances you have at the house. range, cook top, dryer, water heater, furnace, etc. they are all connected to electrical and i guarantee you if you take a continuity tester, the ground connector will show continuity to the gas piping with little resistance. the water heater cold water will also be conductive to the gas. unless you actually have dielectric's that actually work.

it's more repetitious than anything else. older installations never required a dedicated jumper bonding wire to the gas piping.

codes have changed and for the better or worse, it's now required.

just think about the poor apprentice electrician who had to bond 544 gas systems on the last new construction project i did. not to worry as we also had to run dedicated cold water lines into their electrical rooms for them to ground their panels too.

it's a give and take and in the construction world.

rick.

Yesterday vs today. Many gas appliances didn't have electrical run to them. For whatever reason CSST attracts lightning strikes. Water lines are plastic for the most part these days so there is no bonding to water lines.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
              X