Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

    I have an issue with the NEC so I thought some smart person could add to this...

    Electrician cornered me today and asked me where I was going to be running my gas line on a new install..

    I showed him then asked him why.

    He says it is code that he "Bond the gas line"

    After examining his install and his "Bonding" I see that the "Bonds" actually have a path back to the ground bus in the houses panel.

    So Bonding is actually Grounding IMO.

    IF an Electrician Grounds to a metal gasline he better pray there is never a problem with the Houses ground because it would be easy for the gas line to become the next best thing, to bad you would find this out when a lighting strikes easiest path to ground is the gas line

    From what I read "Bonding" is done to give closed electrical shorts a path back to trip a breaker.. is the risk worth the reward???

  • #2
    Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

    I can't believe You are so far behind Us ! We've been doing this in Ca. for Years. Welcome to the 20 th century
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

      Same here...it's been done here forever.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

        Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        .... his install and his "Bonding" I see that the "Bonds" actually have a path back to the ground bus in the houses panel.

        So Bonding is actually Grounding IMO.

        IF an Electrician Grounds to a metal gasline he better pray there is never a problem with the Houses ground because it would be easy for the gas line to become the next best thing, to bad you would find this out when a lighting strikes easiest path to ground is the gas line

        From what I read "Bonding" is done to give closed electrical shorts a path back to trip a breaker.. is the risk worth the reward???
        Yes, bonding is like grounding. Its basically to keep everything tied together and be at the same potential.
        It sounds a little scary, but it makes it safer by having the fault current quickly trip the breaker as opposed to having fault current linger on the gas line that might not trip the breaker or take too long to do so (a high impedance path) Remember electricity will take the path of least resistance. Also remember the bonds are tied to earth ground via a driven ground rod(s) and water lines.


        BTW, NEC questions should posted to the electricians forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

          Originally posted by johncameron View Post
          Yes, bonding is like grounding. Its basically to keep everything tied together and be at the same potential.
          It sounds a little scary, but it makes it safer by having the fault current quickly trip the breaker as opposed to having fault current linger on the gas line that might not trip the breaker or take too long to do so (a high impedance path) Remember electricity will take the path of least resistance. Also remember the bonds are tied to earth ground via a driven ground rod(s) and water lines.


          BTW, NEC questions should posted to the electricians forum

          I don't know any smart Eletricians... But I know a couple Plumbers who know everything:-)
          Last edited by OkieBill; 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            I can't believe You are so far behind Us ! We've been doing this in Ca. for Years. Welcome to the 20 th century
            Californiaians have also banned Brass,reelected Moonbeam, are attempting to legalize homosexual marriage, support a larger illegal population then anywhere in the world and wonder why your state is going bankrupt AND allow a General Contractor to believe he/ she can be any skilled trade they want because they are a GC...

            Eventually we will end up Fencing you WACKOS in
            Last edited by OkieBill; 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

              Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              I don't know any smart Eletricians... But I know a couple Plumbers who know everything:-)
              Thanks Bill, but I don't know everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Californiaians have also banned Brass,reelected Moonbeam, are attempting to legalize homosexual marriage, support a larger illegal population then anywhere in the world and wonder why your state is going bankrupt AND allow a General Contractor to believe he/ she can be any skilled trade they want because they are a GC...

                Eventually we will end up Fencing you WACKOS in
                Poor baby, I'll light a candle at St Marys for You in the morning. Now take Your teddy and get back under the covers.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                  They only make us bond CSST here and I don't use it anyway. They want a ground rod driven specifically for the gas pipe (here) if things have not changed.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

                  Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                    Oh ,almost forgot ! We also add T+P valves to our water heaters
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                      Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Oh ,almost forgot ! We also add T+P valves to our water heaters
                      They aren't mandatory prior to sale? Must be state by state.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

                      Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                        Bill
                        Why didn't you ask your question at the electrician forum on this site?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                          Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          They aren't mandatory prior to sale? Must be state by state.
                          dont forget to plug them when they leak
                          ~~

                          ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                            No one knows the difference between grounding and bonding. Grounding is just how it sounds. To ground to earth in other words; connected to ground. Bonding is connected to establish electrical continuity and conductivity.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

                            "Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

                            "We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"



                            www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

                            "Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Bonding / Grounding to Gas Lines

                              Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                              No one knows the difference between grounding and bonding. Grounding is just how it sounds. To ground to earth in other words; connected to ground. Bonding is connected to establish electrical continuity and conductivity.
                              Not to split hairs but that "Bond" is connected to the ground bus in the panel so it is a Ground but since a gas line is not designed to carry current we call it Bonded...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X