Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lube It Please!

What were you thinking?

For the past week I have ran into job after job of faucets, T/S valves, etc. where nothing was taken apart and lubed when installed. And all the tricks you can think of that have worked would not get them to budge.

If you install it, take a minute and lube the parts that make it serviceable.

Re: Lube It Please!

for the companies that are 'install only' then preemptive lubing is counter-productive. it cuts down on sales.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

95.3 BOB FM - Listen to Bob Online!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
        for the companies that are 'install only' then preemptive lubing is counter-productive. it cuts down on sales.
        Then they suck.

Comment

you would think that during the manufacturing process they would do that. wrong

i always lube stems, screws, estucions, handle splines. even tank trip levers as needed. most are plastic now.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            Then they suck.
            agreed. probably another 'reason' i was fired
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              you would think that during the manufacturing process they would do that. wrong
              Good to know never realized this. I guess I'll have to take apart all the faucets I put in this last year at home and lube them all up... What do you lube them with?

Comment

Originally posted by d_slat View Post
                Good to know never realized this. I guess I'll have to take apart all the faucets I put in this last year at home and lube them all up... What do you lube them with?
                Pure silicone paste. Doesn't take much on threaded pieces or stems. No reason to goop it on.

"Plumbers Grease" is also acceptable. Some agree/disagree on reaction to rubber parts that can be involved.

Comment

newer 1/4 turn/ ceramic disc faucets don't need it. if anything just lube the fine threads that hold on the estucions and the spline for the handles.

old school compression/ washer stems. lube the coarse threads that open and close the stem. also the packing nut and packing along the stem. plus the trim estucion and trim nipple, handle spline for future removal.

spout o-rings, faucet o-rings and metal to metal connections. especially around swing spouts.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                    Pure silicone paste. Doesn't take much on threaded pieces or stems. No reason to goop it on.

"Plumbers Grease" is also acceptable. Some agree/disagree on reaction to rubber parts that can be involved.
                    Is Silicone Paste a code compliant replacement for Plumbers Grease (potable water)? I've been thinking of picking up some Plumbers Grease but Silicone Paste might be better choice. Thanks I learned something.
                    Last edited by rodm1; 12-23-2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X