X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerber Viper

Just installed my first Gerber Viper today and was pretty impressed. I like the large water spot compared to the American Standard Cadet 3 I usually use. Anyone else here use the Viper?
    26+6=1

Re: Gerber Viper

We have been using Gerber for easily 20+ years now, and its still a fantastic toilet.

Comment

All my toilets are Vipers. Good, solid toities.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

my supply house just started to stock the gerbers and i'm waiting for the units to get fully stocked at the local level.

should replace my toto drakes with the viper and save some good money. plus the viper ballcock has to be better than a toto/ hunter pos ballcock.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Damn fine toilet.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Gerber is the only toilet I sell unless someone wants something else specifically. The Viper is my "go to" toilet but I also like the upgraded Avalanche. I have the Avalanche in my house and it's great. Uses the larger flapper etc. I've never been let down by Gerber, no call backs, no defects etc. They're just great toilets.

Comment

I have problems with the trip levers moving on them. They don't come tight from the factory and when you snug them up they tend to break. I wouldn't care but the chains tend to have a pretty specific length at which they'll trip the flapper with just a quick punch. The 10" rough in tanks are barely functional as far as the flapper and factory trip lever are concerned . Also the plastic wing nut connectors for the tank to bowl are nonsense, you end up using a linesman pliers to snug them up. other than function and installation they seem fine. But they're cheap so guess what i get to put in.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
                I have problems with the trip levers moving on them. They don't come tight from the factory and when you snug them up they tend to break. I wouldn't care but the chains tend to have a pretty specific length at which they'll trip the flapper with just a quick punch. The 10" rough in tanks are barely functional as far as the flapper and factory trip lever are concerned . Also the plastic wing nut connectors for the tank to bowl are nonsense, you end up using a linesman pliers to snug them up. other than function and installation they seem fine. But they're cheap so guess what i get to put in.
                I usually buy the tank to bowl kits with three bolts from WB. Almost any toilet I install gets them sealed out.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I take it you're talking about Gerber? I've never had a problem with what you're talking about. The trip levers have always been very tight and have never had to adjust them.

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post

Comment

If i don't snug them down I end up with call backs because the trip lever assembly rotates and holds the flapper up just a hair and the w.c. runs

Comment

Don't think I have ever ran into this problem either. Do you think it may have been a bad batch?

Comment

Just put an ADA Viper in today. I like the way the bowl is cast where you need to get a wrench on the tank bolts. Its flat just in the back so you can actually get a wrench on the nut and you can see the nut without having to lay on the floor. Ive had to use a socket on some. This all started because I could not get a Cadet 3 in 14" rough on Monday and had no other options but the Gerber. Large water spot, flushes well and a decent price point. I think Gerber has a new customer.
                        26+6=1

Comment

Yes they are very easy to install. Very plumber friendly.

Comment

I agree that the plastic tank to bowl nuts on the Gerber are crap. You have to use pliers on them to get them tight. The tank to bowl system on the Kohler Cimarron is pretty awesome by comparison

The only other thing about Gerber that I do not like is the MADE IN CHINA stamp on the box.

Rick, the viper ballcock is Fluidmaster. the flapper is a coast clear vinyl with the plastic float insert. Both can be replaced with generic stock parts. No special ballcocks or flappers needed.

BTW, I have installed about a dozen Vipers in the last year and have not had one call back for a leak, running toilet, broken trip lever, etc. Also not a single has been clogged yet. Customers also impressed with the bowl wash (1.6 GPF, I have not put a 1.28 GPF in yet).
                            Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 12-26-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Its a great toilet and its the only one I will furnish and install....but what out there doesn't say made in china? LOL!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X