Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help, from the Plumb Vets

Hey Guys,

After being out in the field for a while you think you have just about seen the worst of the worst. But every now and again you get a (WTF)? Today happen to be that. I went to snake a customers drain in the kitchen. He complained that the water would not go down and would take almost 15 min before it actually went down. Also it drained when you turned the garbage disposal on but would hiccup and come back with a pocket of water. I thought to myself Hmmmm... Maybe a slight blockage or possible venting. Customer lives in a condo/duplex and kitchen is on top floor. He says it was like this when he moved in. And that previous guy never complained before but also may have never paid it any mind because he was a traveling guy. So Hit it with a little bio-drain opener as I always do just to loose it, if its not standing water. I find its easier to do this so it usually A. lossens what ever is down there and B. lubes the inside and makes it easier for the cable. To each is own, Well after I did this I used my trusted hand drum snake with drill set-up. Its never failed me, with kitchen sinks and baths sinks. So hey its in the bag. NOOOOO. 2 hrs later back and forth still the samething. Water only goes down when you turn on garbage disposal. You can run water and turn disposal on, water will drain out. Turn the disposal off and hiccup water right back in sink. Not much but enough. Please help out "PLUMBING GODS" your knowledge and wisdom is needed. Thanks
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: Need Help, from the Plumb Vets

Get a K50 and clean it properly...no chemicals.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I will assume your hand snake is a 1/4"? If so then need next size up with a head....like a 3/8 or so....zip it down the line.....
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

what they said. bigger snake. no chemicals. those enzyme cleaner ones arent instant, too. they take weeks/months.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Sounds like it could be bad drain configuration under the sink. It drains out under pressure but not with gravity. Maybe a homeowner special or an s-trap.

Comment

To me it sounds like a stopped up waste line and when you turn on the disposer it pumps the water up the vent pipe to a tee connection that is picking up venting from units below. If my theory is correct you should be able to fill the sink up with water and be able to drain most of it by simply running the disposer. I like the K50 idea. Forget the chemicals and pull the trap.

Comment

a sectional 5/8'' cable is the best bet. the open winds and large bore with good choice of heads will properly clean that 2'' line in no time.

i have 1 tomorrow that i need to do. a 5/16'' drop head didn't do it and they have no cleanout. thought i could clear the laundry and kitchen, but it didn't happen. too much built up grease and lint. the k-50 will plow through the muck and eat the the lint inside the open wind cable.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Dont know much about your systems but hey, please let us know what you find and how you overcome the issue. Some of the earlier posts have some credible pointers. One thing to consider which may have already been mentioned, are you sure there is fall on the pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                  Dont know much about your systems but hey, please let us know what you find and how you overcome the issue. Some of the earlier posts have some credible pointers. One thing to consider which may have already been mentioned, are you sure there is fall on the pipe
                  Thanks to all who pitched in with advice. All was correct. it just needed the trusty old K-50. Took a couple of shots but in the end it was all good. Thanks for everything guys. Now time to invoice

Comment

Charge the time and equipment fee for the k-50, charge up to 1 hr max labor and no equipment fee for any work prior. if it were me i'd only charge for the k-50 work. be very fair to your customer. they will remember and will happily recommend you.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      Charge the time and equipment fee for the k-50, charge up to 1 hr max labor and no equipment fee for any work prior. if it were me i'd only charge for the k-50 work. be very fair to your customer. they will remember and will happily recommend you.
                      Your definetly right. I only charged for the time I did the service with the K-50. I have always lived by the code. I find when you hack work and take advantage of people it comes back to you. Theres to much work in one persons house that you shouldn't have to take advantage of people. You will get in all back in the end with just great honest customer service. Case in point: He also had me do some other work, Service his hot water heater and repair faucet. Ching! See it come back to you anyway, so the extra work covered my time before, he was happy, he liked the price. Everybody happy. Another plumbing saga. Thanks for advice

Comment

Working...
                      X