Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot topic (Water Filtration)

Hey Gents,

I have did a lil search on here to see have there ever been any discussions about Water Filters and the pros and cons of which type is best. I had no luck , I was surprised for I thought this would be a very interesting subject. In my neck of the wood D/M/V this is starting to requested a lot. Im starting to get a lot more questions on this from customers and strangers. Im leaning toward doing some strong market for this and see it as a strong way to increase company sales. Theres a company in my area I wont say there name but they are charging almost 5 grand to install whole house filters. Crazy. So what do you guys thinks and what whole house filters are you using and what do you reccommend.
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: Hot topic (Water Filtration)

I like my customers to get their own filters , Then no one is mad at Me
    I always put a bypass valve on any whole house filter, so when the customer gets tired of buying filters , and low water pressure, they just turn a few valves and they are back to normal
    It was a big thing about 15 years ago here

Comment

Point of use filters under sinks are somewhat common in my area. I sell them as a means of reducing the chloramine disinfectant used by the major water purveyors in my area.

Comment

water filters are not exciting nor revenue producing. water treatment is exciting and tends to be a money maker.

treatment systems are typically whole house in my area as most houses have well water. the city services can generally get away with only a softener. not one of those water 'conditioner' scams either.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

It depends on what your calling a whole house filter. If its one of those 10" in line things, your wasting everybody's money unless your using a carbon filter to remove chlorine. And if you are, your going to go broke buying filters.

If you use normal sized water filtration, you have to test the water first to see what needs to be removed. Softeners remove hardness and a little iron. Carbon filters remove taste and odor along with some chemicals and chlorine. There is a new carbon based media that removes chlorimine. I believe it even removes the fluoride. Then there is sulphur and iron or both filters that work well.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I know a guy on another forum that is a self proclaimed expert. Speedbump knows him well anyhow, plumbers should get themselves educated and open another income stream.
            sigpic

Comment

I know a guy on another forum that is a self proclaimed expert. Speedbump knows him well anyhow, plumbers should get themselves educated and open another income stream.
              Yes I sure do. I agree, Plumbers should get educated on Water Filtration. At least they would be selling and installing them as opposed to having a silver tongued devil selling them then having someone who is not even close to being a Plumber installing them. That and the salesman (in many cases) is not an expert on anything but selling. Plumbers would give the customer a better deal and would be installing the RIGHT equipment for the water being filtered.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                Plumbers would give the customer a better deal and would be installing the RIGHT equipment for the water being filtered.
                That not always true, because if the plumber doesn't know about filtration systems they will sell you the wrong system also.
                I have a friend who was buying a house had a licensed plumber inspect the well & septic system prior to purchasing it.
                The water tested high for nitrates & the plumber recommended installing a $4,200.00 UV system to remove the nitrates, which you know will not remove the nitrates.
                I had him call my plumber & he had a point of use nitrate removal system installed for $200.00. He then had the water tested again & a year later both times the water tested fine.
                The plumber also said the septic system was failing, which it wasn't. I checked it out & the only thing it needed was pumping. he has been living there for 4 yrs. now with no problems.
                A hack is a hack it doesn't matter if they are a licensed plumber or water treatment company.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                  That not always true, because if the plumber doesn't know about filtration systems they will sell you the wrong system also.
                  I have a friend who was buying a house had a licensed plumber inspect the well & septic system prior to purchasing it.
                  The water tested high for nitrates & the plumber recommended installing a $4,200.00 UV system to remove the nitrates, which you know will not remove the nitrates.
                  I had him call my plumber & he had a point of use nitrate removal system installed for $200.00. He then had the water tested again & a year later both times the water tested fine.
                  The plumber also said the septic system was failing, which it wasn't. I checked it out & the only thing it needed was pumping. he has been living there for 4 yrs. now with no problems.
                  A hack is a hack it doesn't matter if they are a licensed plumber or water treatment company.
                  ^^^ that's exactly how my former boss was. a plumber in name only... really a salesguy. huge markups on the stuff used in wrong applications. 'why jet a line to clear roots for $ X when we can charge $ XXXX for a dig up.'
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I couldn't agree more. I was talking about all the good guys out there. Hopefully we're not the minority...

Comment

Filers, like any product in your inventory, should not be sold unless one understands the technology.

Comment

Working...
                      X