X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling out "Hacks"

I was putting the final touches on a job when a distraught gentleman rolls up in a golf cart ...

Can you help us ? my dad fell for a guy that did a hack job ...

so during glue curing time I went over and found this !

So my question is Should I show these photos to prospective customers ? The guy is licensed but he promises the moon to the customers then does this !

This was a garden tub and the guy was too lazy to go all the way to the valve !

Of course he can beat me on price ! My job may take up to 3 days to meticulously perform

notice the stop facing the wall ... OUCH !!!

Re: Calling out "Hacks"

What in Sam Hell is that $hit? If Mr. Hack is proud of the work he does, of course I would show the pictures when I am bidding against him. Show some pics of your work too for comparison (maybe a before and after of the same job).
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I love trailer wall board it never goes out of style

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        I love trailer wall board it never goes out of style

The best 1/8 - 3/16" your career has ever seen !!
        ~~

Comment

Yes you should in fact educate the public on what the difference is between a professional job and a cheap *** hack job!!!
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

So pretty ,It brings a tear to My old Irish Eyes . We need a wall of shame , like the HVAC SITE !!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

He's licensed? Who is he letting do his actual work? I'm disgusted, but not surprised. This kind of crap is becoming more the norm than the exception in this state. Low-ball re-pipe. Everyone and their brother is cutting throats to get in on the re-pipe action. At this point, when someone calls looking for a price on a re-pipe, I tell them I'm not your guy. Not because I've pre-judged them and assume they won't pay a higher price for a higher level of work, but most of these are done in less than one day. I work alone. I've done it, can do it, but I want no part in a rush job. 8 am at Home Depot... Two guys who speak little English checking out with a bundle of 3/4" and 1/2" CPVC and a bag of fittings... Hmmm. Wonder what they're doing today??

Comment

Might not have been the best comment to make...............................
                Last edited by Dhal22; 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                  Most likely a mobile home owner can't afford a quality plumber anyway.
                  I used to think that way, until I found a 1000 unit honey hole and started hitting pay dirt. Snow birds, staying in an RV Resort chuck full of "Park Models". Winter in Az 4 to 6 months and go back home to the mid-west. Over 100+ pex re-pipes, 250+ R/O systems, 50+ water heaters, dozens of faucets. Nuf said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
                    Most likely a mobile home owner can't afford a quality plumber anyway.
                    Stereo types are very dangerous and dhal I think we've got into an argument or two about this in the past. So il leave it at don't judge a book bye its cover.

Comment

There is a place in heaven for people who do good honest work on Mobile Homes. Because, it seems, most don't...including the manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                        There is a place in heaven for people who do good honest work on Mobile Homes. Because, it seems, most don't...including the manufacturers.
                        Agreed. Once it reaches a point where the cost of the job is more than what the customer can afford, or in some of my job bids, more than what the value of the entire home is (you should see our 'epitome of the jerry springer trailer park' settings we have) the good, honest work is a moot point. I'm not saying to hack it in, but is it worth the job at all, or doing a less of a 'high quality' job?
                        ~~

Comment

Wow, that's bad. Doesn't plumbing work require an inspection? If he's licensed, I would be calling the licencing board.

Comment

Haven't posted for a while. I was a one man plumbing contractor. It took me two to three days to do a mobile home repipe. I did a nice neat job, thought about the other trades man and didn't put my piping right in the middle of a crawl space strapped it to the beam nice and straight and even pulled out old crap under the coach. There are customers who want quality and customers who want the cheapest and quickest job possible. I have done quite a few repairs under mobile homes. David

Comment

Honestly I try not to past to harsh judgement on guys. But when I see stuff like this, it sickens me. I dont have any sympathy for the hack that did this. Because this isn't all just not knowing what to do, its also lazy work. They are out to completely take adavantage of people. I think its your duty as an honest tradesman to show this guys work and report him. Because he is actually stealing. Its crazy to say this after my rant , but unfortunately these kind of guys keep us in business. This is a crazy world..............
                              Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                              crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Working...
                              X