X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas line pressure tests

On My Gas test tomorrow ,I have a cal valve. Seismic gas shut off. It's caped off Just after. Meter disconnected ,of course. I have the Cal valve in the off position and It. all holding 15 Lbs. for Hours. These valves ever leak at 15 Lbs. ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Gas line pressure tests

I always give the gas company around here 100psi (over kill) but I forget what they look for even though most of the gas I work on is 1/2 lb...sometimes 2lb.

Comment

Well, all went well. Just passed ,plumbing, Gas test, Elec. , and framing. Next on this site, I change Elec. service from 100 Amp. to 200 Amps. Under My Ca. Gen. B License ,I do all the work Myself. Love My trades !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i always have a big smile on my face when i pass gas

at least the inspector didn't tell you it stinks

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

15 pds for 15 mins gets it done in long beach Ca. Inspector isn't gonna hang around longer then that.
          100 pds? , wow

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
            15 pds for 15 mins gets it done in long beach Ca. Inspector isn't gonna hang around longer then that.
            100 pds? , wow
            We just did 105 ft of 1 1/4" 2 lb gas, and left it under pressure for 24 hours before the gas company came out. Here the gas company inspects, and 100lbs is for peace of mind. I'm sure our insurance company appreciates it. : )

Comment

I did leave it overnight at 15 lbs. House is in My Hood.Nice to go home for lunch and watch FOX,he he . Wasn't 15 lbs. holding at 1st. this a new garage laundry Saw a tee heading out and underground, near pool.No pool heater,No stub caped off ! 60 Year old house. Called owner ,and asked about old Barbecue , or pool heater. None pool is only 4 Years old ? Suggested I cap of in Garage. Did , leak fixed. Also found New Munchkin Boiler [ signed off , Local Licensed plumber } , has No sediment trap . Got OK $ to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I always give the gas company around here 100psi (over kill) but I forget what they look for even though most of the gas I work on is 1/2 lb...sometimes 2lb.
                Ive been turned down for having too much pressure for the test. 100# is great for finding leaks by sound but won't pass a bubble test. Typically the inspectors here want to see a gauge no smaller than 2" in diameter, no higher than 10 psi max and measured in 10ths. of pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Ive been turned down for having too much pressure for the test. 100# is great for finding leaks by sound but won't pass a bubble test.
                  Explain please

Comment

Very simple. A gauge with a very fine scale will detect a leak more accurately than a large gauge.

Also a large system will hide a small leak where a small system will show up much faster.

Picture a bike tire and a car or truck tire. All start off with the same pressure. Then they all have the same nail or tack in the tire. They all will drop pressure to 0, but the bike does it quicker than the car and the truck takes the longest.

A pressure gauge with smaller segments will pick up on the leak much faster than a larger pressure gauge.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

See, they don't require us to have any special gauges for testing out here.

The other thing that weird in our area is...it will either be a gas company employee or independent contractor that sets gas meters and does inspections.

Here we can request different types of pressures for a home, as long as their main can handle it.

But as far as testing goes, if I'm correct the gas company wants 30 x the actual operating pressure being supplied to the system for a test. So for a 2# system they want a minimum of 60psi on the test gauge.

Comment

I don't believe the explanation is as simple as mentioned - the tire examples have two variables - pressure and volume. For a given pressure what Rick said is correct - however if you consider a fixed size hole through which a leak will occur something at a higher pressure will force itself out faster and more volume will be dispelled than at a lower pressure so you will probably see the leak on a gauge with less precision since you should have more pressure loss.

However, as per the gas code there is no 100# test - everything is done at much lower pressures so if I were an inspector I would want to see the test done as prescribed in the code.

Another thing to bear in mind especially on a low pressure test is that if you do an extended one say overnight the drop in temp can affect the pressure which can appear to be a leak but in actual fact is not. I've seen it happen plus it is also mentioned in the gas code handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                          However, as per the gas code there is no 100# test - everything is done at much lower pressures so if I were an inspector I would want to see the test done as prescribed in the code.
                          True...but inspectors and officials can and will supercede any code.

If my gas company doesn't have a problem with it, and the inspectors don't have a problem with it...why would you? If this is such a big deal, why would they still set a meter then?

Let me put it to you this way....

The job I just did...which was 105 ft of 1 1/4" black iron with many twists and turns in areas where you could barely swing wrenches...through attics, and crawl spaces on a 6 million dollar home...would you not want peace of mind when you left that job?

Have you ever seen gas main leaks, even after it passed inspection?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            True...but inspectors and officials can and will supercede any code.

If my gas company doesn't have a problem with it, and the inspectors don't have a problem with it...why would you? If this is such a big deal, why would they still set a meter then?

Let me put it to you this way....

The job I just did...which was 105 ft of 1 1/4" black iron with many twists and turns in areas where you could barely swing wrenches...through attics, and crawl spaces on a 6 million dollar home...would you not want peace of mind when you left that job?

Have you ever seen gas main leaks, even after it passed inspection?
                            I agree - there are many correct ways to do something even though it may not have been done as described in the code. And yes inspector do have leeway to supercede code. I personally don't see anything wrong with your method.

One thing I should mention that I've seen on car ac systems - not sure how applicable it is to plumbing/gas lines. I have seen a system hold pressure during test and then leak at a different pressure during operation . An ac tech also confirmed that this does happen. As I said I don't know if this translates to gas pipes but if it did it would make sense to test the system as close as possible to real operating conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                              I agree - there are many correct ways to do something even though it may not have been done as described in the code. And yes inspector do have leeway to supercede code. I personally don't see anything wrong with your method.

One thing I should mention that I've seen on car ac systems - not sure how applicable it is to plumbing/gas lines. I have seen a system hold pressure during test and then leak at a different pressure during operation . An ac tech also confirmed that this does happen. As I said I don't know if this translates to gas pipes but if it did it would make sense to test the system as close as possible to real operating conditions.
                              My father is one of those guys who is scared to death of a lawsuit, and he protects his *** as much as possible. When we finished that gas job the other day, I was like "why are we putting 100psi in ?" His response was.." I want peace of mind".

So we did it, and we both crawled all over the place checking our fittings with the system full.

Over the last 5 years...I'm getting more calls for fixing gas leaks after the gas company has red tagged the system. In most cases I find that a fitting wasn't tight enough or a pitted cast fitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X