X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring under slab commercial kitchen project

A Plumber friend gave Me this one. A 2'" C.I LINE has the bottom rotted out. Maybe they used acid over the years.
    Had My Guys cut slab 24" x 7 ft. Had it camered N located. Because of all the freezers N access ,We are core drilling a 3" hole through a 2 ft. wall footer. It was tough , but they have a rough hole through !This Morn I go to My shop ,cut the shank on the core bitt, add a 3' section of rod and weld it up.This new line intersects the 2nd pit at an angle ! This is how I do it. With a chalk line I snap lines on concrete else ware. I measure the line length and offset. So I have one straight line . and a second intersecting line. Above the pit I drop down two strings ,with 3/4" metal nuts. just above My 3/4" boring pipe. AS I start boring My helper. holds a plumbers 1/4" fall level on the pipe for Me. I use a simple BIRZIT setup. My Plumber asked Me to tie in My end of line ,He "ll do the one at the other end. It;s a private club ,all time material with each of Equept. charged out. I love doing all the trades,It's always interisting !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Boring under slab commercial kitchen project

Why are you welding an extension on the bit?

Isn't this a wet core bit with 1.25 x 7 tpi? Just buy the the threaded extensions.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      Why are you welding an extension on the bit?
      Rick.
      Rick, you should know old that timers don't believe in spending money they don't have too.

Why but it, when you can make it...ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        Rick, you should know old that timers don't believe in spending money they don't have too.

Why but it, when you can make it...ya know?
        Now all you have to do is grind it off when you want to go back to using the bit w/o the extension.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well I picked up a 4" bosh core bitt. cut it ,added a 24" shaft. Worked great. I never drilled through clay this dense .
          Lots of extra work on this project. My old faithful timber wolf started smoking. Now I have a new Hole Hawg, Nice drill
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Well I picked up a 4" bosh core bitt. cut it ,added a 24" shaft. Worked great. I never drilled through clay this dense .
            Lots of extra work on this project. My old faithful timber wolf started smoking. Now I have a new Hole Hawg, Nice drill
            You cut the bit, and extended the length with pipe?

Comment

I cut the shank ,beveled,added 22" tool steel and welded. Worked awesome . cut 24 " of Con. and rebar. They pay for bit $287, Weld fab $100. I Keep ! Tool

Comment

Some tricks with Borzit in Hard clay. Just did 2" PVC In clay " Hard as a Hoar's Heart " In the entry Pit , My helper Uses a dirt bar to push pipe coupling. In the building pit ,I pull with a cumalong attached to a plate with 3/8" red heads to concrete floor.
                To pull the 2" PVC . I take an end cap drill a 3/8" hole .insert a 3/8" Machine bold Eye bolt with Large washer N nut inside , nut outside, Red hot Glue- fast set.Next Job in hard clay, I will use Electrician's Pulling lub. on outside of PVC. I don't know if this will help. We'll see.On extracting a long run of 3/4" Galvy drill pipe I fabbed a pipe puller. 3/8" chain W hook. attached with 3"x3" square plate. Plate Has a 1" hole Grabs Pips to earth anchor in dirt. Hope this helps Another . Beth N I are of to ZIP line through the wine country forests ! Turned 70 Yesterday, " OLD N BOLD " Tool
                Last edited by toolaholic; 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X