X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate Valve Hatred

So here is something I don't get. Why are gate valves still used in some new construction for water supply to the house? I have never had a properly installed ball valve leak before but gate valves always seem to be on the edge of leaking.

Silly question but why do plumbers still use them? Is it to save the extra few bucks or is there some code that requires them in some instances?

Maybe I am just prejudice against them from past bad experiences. Somebody set me straight.

Re: Gate Valve Hatred

Combination of cost and old inventory.

Actually years ago I had a large project with fire hose cabinets that I had to swap out ball valves on the main risers to os&y gates. Inspector said they didn't want fast closing valves on the 2.5" lines.

Had 6 of them to do for inspection the next day.

Im sitting on hundreds of pounds of pretty much scrap brass gate valves. Both domestic and import.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

As for the fire sprinkler side of the gate valve, Rick hit the nail on the head. Slow close so it does not cause water hammer. Plus a ball valve is not a throttling valve, which is needed some times in our trade.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
        As for the fire sprinkler side of the gate valve, Rick hit the nail on the head. Slow close so it does not cause water hammer. Plus a ball valve is not a throttling valve, which is needed some times in our trade.
        A gate valve is not a throttling valve either. Ball valves can be used to control/regulate flow, and so can globe valves. OS&Y/rising stem valves can be verified open at a glance. A simple tamper switch can also be put on an OS&Y valve. Gate valves offer no flow restriction when full open just as full port ball valves do. Gates are normally used when temporary isolation is required, such as when service to downstream components is needed.

So to answer Josh there may be a misapplication depending on where they are used and how they are installed in your home. The other problem is as you mentioned people use them because they are less expensive than a globe or ball valve.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Nothing worse than a poor quality gate valve. It can really ruin your day. Inspectors still like to see them here instead of a ball valve for the applications listed above. Also, you cant tell if a ball valve is full port or not after its installed.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Nothing worse than a poor quality gate valve. It can really ruin your day. Inspectors still like to see them here instead of a ball valve for the applications listed above. Also, you cant tell if a ball valve is full port or not after its installed.
            How many times have you come across a gate installed with the stem below the centerline of a horizontal pipe run. You kust know that ones gonna be trouble before long.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob you are right about a gate not being a throttling valve, my mistake, fingers out running my brain.

Comment

every old water heater replacement gets a full port valve. And water service if they will pay. Then I show everyone in the family throw the valve off. With the children I play water emergency ! WATER LEAK THROW OFF THE VALVE ! How many Husbands don't have a clue !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I always thought slow close ball valves would be a goos seller for big pipe. maybe have a 16 to 1 gear reduction or more.

Comment

Working...
                  X