X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery sounds

Got a good one for you, hopefully we can figure it out. Six year old Richmond 50 gallon electric. Just started making a loud continuous ticking sound like a clock ticking. Just started out of the blue yesterday morning, nothing was worked on with the water heater or the house.
    Water meter shows no water movement, even overnight, nothing.
    If you turn on any hot water faucet in the home the sound stops.
    If you turn off the valve on the water heater (cold side water) the sound stops.
    Customer turned the power off last night because was worried. Today still has the same sound with no power to the unit and cold heater.
    It doesn't make sense.

Re: Mystery sounds

could it be the noise of copper pipe expanding through a tight hole in a wood stud or joist? do they have a re-circulation line,with a faulty check valve?

Comment

Did you check the pressure coming to the unit. It might be a super slow T&P pressure leak if above 150psi. This would explain the sound stoppage when you turn on the water (relieving pressure) and the fact that turning off heater made no difference.

Comment

Connect the cold to the hot and take the hot water out of the equation. Is there an expansion tank? This has something to do with expanding water pressure. Have pressure regulators or backflows been installed anywhere around there?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Water pressure at about 50. No expansion tank or regulators. No recirc line etc. I just don't know what's making the sound and can't pinpoint it. Really strange and have never seen this before.

Comment

Sometimes those heat trap nipples act odd and make noises.

Comment

But without water moving and no heat?

Comment

Is this city water or well water? The well house pump might be cycling on and off and you are hearing the hammer at the heater?

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  But without water moving and no heat?
                  They are the first place I look at for clicking noises in water heater.
                  There is still water/heat movement as the heater cools. Albeit, minor.

I am just saying I would replace them, to rule them out.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkado View Post
                    Is this city water or well water? The well house pump might be cycling on and off and you are hearing the hammer at the heater?

City water.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                      They are the first place I look at for clicking noises in water heater.
                      There is still water/heat movement as the heater cools. Albeit, minor.

I am just saying I would replace them, to rule them out.
                      I has to be that. I don't know what else it would be. I'll be over there Tuesday to check it out and let you know what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                        Sometimes those heat trap nipples act odd and make noises.
                        Never thought of this....get an automotive stethascope and you can determine this as a cause very quickly.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Please check out Heat Trap Nipples of the tank sometimes they are reasons for making the sound.. Just have a good check of the Installation, Sometime loosely installed Tanks during heating make such noises..

Comment

Working...
                          X