X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle... Stumped on what this is.

Was at a friends house over the weekend and he had some questions about his basement. I can't help but snoop around to see how all the plumbing and wiring was installed. Every builder has different standards and practices. I found some typical shortcuts and some things I didn't think were to code.

One thing I saw had me a bit puzzled though. Not sure what the purpose of the pipe was.

First of all it was obvious they cut something out of the basement floor and added a condensate trade. (maybe removed a floor drain) The pipe in question is the one zip tied to the pole on the right that drains out onto the floor. Appears to have never had any moisture come out of it. It snakes around the basement ceiling and cuts up through one of the first floor walls. My first thought was that it was a vent since it ran up the wall near the 2nd floor washer and dryer... but why would it be open anywhere other than the roof. I also thought it could be a floor drain for the laundry in case of overflow??? Didn't see a drain anywhere in that room though.

Any ideas? Hes not going to do anything with it. Just curious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4aa80a52bc8ccc7c60c56459005af2bb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	17190Drain is zip tied to pole on right.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	93cec8135a6c99547cc1cfa136c051a8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	17191Drain runs up along the ceiling and cuts up through the floor through a 1st floor wall. You can see it tucked in behind the 3" line.

Re: Puzzle... Stumped on what this is.

Josh , We always do solid blocking between floor Joists crossing beams N rim joists Here. I suspect PVC is a bit of Hackery !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Its probably the drain for a pan underneath the washing machine.
      sigpic

Comment

So in the basement they are just hoping it seeps through the rubber gasket around line going into the drain? Makes sense that it has to do with the washing machine in case it overflows or something... just no visible signs to indicate that is what it is.

Comment

I was wondering if the pit was part of a radon gas vent that was abandoned.
          That might explain the piping.

Comment

Working...
          X