Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradford white ,50 gal, natural gas defender, 6 months old shuts down !!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford white ,50 gal, natural gas defender, 6 months old shuts down !!

Flame went out , relite fine ,no chimney problem. In garage ,No high winds. Any ideas ! Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Bradford white ,50 gal, natural gas defender, 6 months old shuts down !!

Dust choking off air intake?

Flammable vapors triggering thermal switch?

Comment

Gas supply okay? Did you call BW? Bad thermopile or gas valve?

Comment

Dust drafted in around the base blocks off the combustion air intake. Real ***** to clean properly
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Vacuum Brush

Comment

A.o. Smith will give you one for free, just have to ask yor rep. The bradford jacket sits directly on the floor, the vents are a few inches up the side, theres no way to getone under it. You can blow outward with compressed air, but for themost part youare just redistributing it
            Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Had this same problem with same tank. Called BW they suggested changing the thermocouple even though it was reading the right numbers. Brought in 6" combustion air even though 5" was enough. Stays lit for about 3 months then goes out. No dust, no vapors, no high winds, vent not blocked, no down drafting. If you figure this one out lemme know!
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

We have never had a problem with BW. I'm very interested in the cause and solution.

David

Comment

If it is the New Icon valve. We have had a couple of minor issues. The Thermopile should be reading 350millivolts. You test this by taking the two wires on the front loose and testing between them while holding the pilot light button down. I think this is the way we tested. We were on the phone with tech support. We had to change the thermopile. I hope we don't start having problems with these. I told them when they first came out, they were being stupid. Adding an electronic board to a standard water heater and using a thermopile to power it, was the dumbest thing they could do, but just about all of the manufacturers are buying into it. I still love bradfordwhite, and won't put anything else in. I just hope I don't have a bunch of Call backs.
                  "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                    If it is the New Icon valve. We have had a couple of minor issues. The Thermopile should be reading 350millivolts. You test this by taking the two wires on the front loose and testing between them while holding the pilot light button down. I think this is the way we tested. We were on the phone with tech support. We had to change the thermopile. I hope we don't start having problems with these. I told them when they first came out, they were being stupid. Adding an electronic board to a standard water heater and using a thermopile to power it, was the dumbest thing they could do, but just about all of the manufacturers are buying into it. I still love bradfordwhite, and won't put anything else in. I just hope I don't have a bunch of Call backs.
                    They went to thermopile ! Thought that was only Boilers and gas fireplaces with blowers and thermostats ?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post

The Icon is thermopile. There are some older bones that still use thermocouple.

Thermopile needs to read between 350mV - 850mV. While pilot is lit positive lead goes to he door switch after removing one of the wires. Negative lead goes to a grounded portion of the heater like an unpainted screw.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                      X