Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T&S Brass faucet spout

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
    Oh, good lord, lmao. Yes I am licensed. If you look in most of the dispensers they have air gaps (around here). Some that do not have an air gap should have the appropriate model number of the device being used.

As far as the hoses I don't like, they are "easily cleanable" so they let it go. I know what I am doing and I was just curious if you had to go above and beyond or just how you like doing things. If I rubbed you wrong, sorry, that wasn't my intentions. Here, Ecolab does most of them and they keep things legal. I know what I am doing.
    Every dispenser I have ever seen is a direct connection to some solenoid contraption internal to the unit. Little transfer pipes then go to each concentrate. So, IF it has an approved backflow prevention device THEN i have no problem with it. I have no problems with you, but remember, this is a forum where we only have pictures and descriptions. Most of the time descriptions are lacking so pictures are king. Based on these pictures one can assume nothing if it isnt pictured. We could only assume that there was no protection, for example. More than one person said it was wrong, so it probably isnt the misperception or misinterpretation of just one other.

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
    Look if I knew I would not be here asking for help. Get off your freaking high horse MR. know it all.Sorry I don't know everything there is to know about plumbing. I learn something new every day. This is one reason I stopped visiting this forum. This is my first post in a long time. Guys like you make folks not want to ask for help. Have a good night!
    Hey Mr. knickers-in-a-wad! YOU supplied all the available information, or lack thereof. We don't know everything either but there is this fine reference called the Code Book. If you open it and reference it (from our point of view) with the given information, you will come to the same conclusions.

So, the question remains.... IS the dispenser internally protected or is it an illegal cross-connection?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      Every dispenser I have ever seen is a direct connection to some solenoid contraption internal to the unit. Little transfer pipes then go to each concentrate. So, IF it has an approved backflow prevention device THEN i have no problem with it. I have no problems with you, but remember, this is a forum where we only have pictures and descriptions. Most of the time descriptions are lacking so pictures are king. Based on these pictures one can assume nothing if it isnt pictured. We could only assume that there was no protection, for example. More than one person said it was wrong, so it probably isnt the misperception or misinterpretation of just one other.

Hey Mr. knickers-in-a-wad! YOU supplied all the available information, or lack thereof. We don't know everything either but there is this fine reference called the Code Book. If you open it and reference it (from our point of view) with the given information, you will come to the same conclusions.

So, the question remains.... IS the dispenser internally protected or is it an illegal cross-connection?

I totally get where everyone is coming from. I am fortunate enough to have run into many that is safe from cross connection. it doesn't mean that I like how its done either. I just wanted to make a post that there can be another way/thing to look at. Let's face it, compared to most states NC is behind in many areas. I like seeing how others do things and WHY. By the way, I re-piped one and threw out the crap that they put in there to make it work and they wanted me to pay for the junk and the work they wanted to do to put it back like they had it. This is one of the reasons why I leave their equipment alone. If it is not up to code one call and they are happy to replace them.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
        Look if I knew I would not be here asking for help. Get off your freaking high horse MR. know it all.Sorry I don't know everything there is to know about plumbing. I learn something new every day. This is one reason I stopped visiting this forum. This is my first post in a long time. Guys like you make folks not want to ask for help. Have a good night!

It's not enough to correct someone, you have to be extremely condescending when doing so. You know that guy at the wholesaler who walks around with his chest puffed out, like he pioneered the entire trade? Pretty sure it's that guy. So don't feel bad, that's why I stopped coming around as well.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I may have been a bit brusque and had the question come from a homeowner, handy hack, apprentice or even a journeyman I might have been a bit less brusque but...

Date of Birth
          March 27 About plumbertim1975

City, StateNorth Mississippi
          Interestshunting and fishing
          OccupationMaster Plumber
          Years of Experience in Tradesince 1992
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
            So don't feel bad, that's why I stopped coming around as well.
            Obviously our magnetism and joviality keep bringing you back If you want mean, condescending, etc try some of the other plumbing forums.
            ~~

Comment

If it is not up to code one call and they are happy to replace them.
              I need clarification on this. Does this mean you refuse to perform the work? Does it also mean you call the enforcement officers?
              ~~

Comment

I don't refuse to do work. If there is an issue of safety it is noted and talked over with the management. It is not mine or the customers to work on. It is the company providing the equipment that owns it. I have called the owners of the equipment and they take care of it. I have never had to call an inspector out after finding one that did not provide the proper safeguards for cross contamination. Would I, if need be, of course. I will not jeopardize the health and well-being of anyone to save a customer a few dollars, if there is a health hazard, and with this scenario it is not a hazard for my customer. It is rare as they are sticklers. I have only run across one, so far, and it was took care of promptly. I am not sure what all some of these companies (that provide these systems) do but they do inspections all the time and they seem to have a lot of influence with things being up to health code standards including plumbing and beyond.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

I don't know everything about Plumbing either, even though I have that "Master Plumber" title and over 25 years experience.

However, I didn't think an elementary code violation needs to be explained, as a cross connection is a cross connection...end of story.

We all learned that by our 2nd year in Apprentice school, so nobody is puffing their chests out.

We are all human here and make mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I don't know everything about Plumbing either, even though I have that "Master Plumber" title and over 25 years experience.

However, I didn't think an elementary code violation needs to be explained, as a cross connection is a cross connection...end of story.

We all learned that by our 2nd year in Apprentice school, so nobody is puffing their chests out.

We are all human here and make mistakes.
                    So now an air gap is a cross connection issue? Please explain this. So far the OP has yet to say if it was or was not an issue.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

So now an air gap is a cross connection issue? Please explain this. So far the OP has yet to say if it was or was not an issue.
                      No...you're looking at the wrong end of this abortion. This has nothing to do with the soap box.

This faucet should have a Atmospheric Back flow preventer on it, if the soap is going to be tied into the faucet.

Look at my picture example. The soap should then tie in at the "end" of the "spout"...NOT the way the OP has it pictured.
                      Attached Files

Comment

No...you're looking at the wrong end of this abortion. This has nothing to do with the soap box.

This faucet should have a Atmospheric Back flow preventer on it, if the soap is going to be tied into the faucet.

Look at my picture example. The soap should then tie in at the "end" of the "spout"...NOT the way the OP has it pictured.
                        Uhhh, I am really missing your point and apologize (truly).

The water goes to the soap dispenser through the airgap where the soap is siphoned in after the air gap. From there the soap dispenser dumps into the sink after the airgap and dispenser. The soap does not go into the faucet. Did you think it the soap goes into the faucet to get into the sink? Some do get piped the way you show but that is normally at can wash areas but still have the appropriate air gap, I would hope/insist. I think this was at a three compartment sink.

Pics on the way if anyone is even interested at this point of the inside of a dispenser and the crappy piping that surprisingly everyone can agree upon.

Last edited by Gettinit; 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM. Reason: poor pic quality
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9294804...n/photostream/

Sorry - I cannot figure out how to make the pictures bigger, so I've enclosed the links.
                            Last edited by Gettinit; 02-14-2013, 11:45 PM.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

I have no idea about that soap box or what it looks like inside.

But the original picture would be illegal in our state, cause it has the potential for a cross connection. That faucet wasn't designed for the application it's being used for, regardless if the water pushes up to the box, or vice versa.

Lets say that faucet is filling one of the sink compartments, and it losses pressure and and a vacuum is created. There is no protection on that faucet considering there could be an air gap in that soap box. Who's to say the owner didn't mess with it for some reason and it no longer has an air gap.

Suppose some jack a** pours something in that soap box in the air gap or whatever. We can do hypotheticals all day long...it's Plumbing principle we are talking about.

Anyone that does a ton of Restaurant work will tell you...protection protection protection is #1 goal when it comes to working with food and serving people. I was a cook in the Navy for 4 years, and had my brain beat in about safety and health.

Comment

I have no idea about that soap box or what it looks like inside.

But the original picture would be illegal in our state, cause it has the potential for a cross connection. That faucet wasn't designed for the application it's being used for, regardless if the water pushes up to the box, or vice versa.

Lets say that faucet is filling one of the sink compartments, and it losses pressure and and a vacuum is created. There is no protection on that faucet considering there could be an air gap in that soap box. Who's to say the owner didn't mess with it for some reason and it no longer has an air gap.

Suppose some jack a** pours something in that soap box in the air gap or whatever. We can do hypotheticals all day long...it's Plumbing principle we are talking about.

Anyone that does a ton of Restaurant work will tell you...protection protection protection is #1 goal when it comes to working with food and serving people. I was a cook in the Navy for 4 years, and had my brain beat in about safety and health.

You are right, WE could go on forever with the what ifs. You can alter anything at anytime to cause a hazard. We can not make everything what if proof. I could go into your restaurant tomorrow and replace the spout without the vacuum breaker. Then where are we? Back to square one. I do not see anyone altering the spout or the airgap but this is why we have these safeguards. Someone is always ready to surprise us. Show me a job up to code and I can show you a way to easily make it dangerous. I am not saying you are wrong. I do think that you are over thinking the safety aspect of the install with a airgap dispenser.

Check out all the pics. There is a pic of the inside of a dispenser. Last pic shows the airgap.
                                AllurePlumbing.com
                                • leak detection
                                • drain cleaning
                                • utility locating
                                • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                                X