X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBC Plumber Sting in New Jersey

wow hey, your resolution is better than mine. i thought i saw a wire and an external ignitor in the video.

the sealed door i've seen in fvir hwt's though. there is a large hole with a rubber gasket (or a ceramic block with clip) and a secondary hole for the safety or ignition wire. both of those are missing on this heater. a standard atmospheric tank has the removable shield with the little tab for your fingers, and a horseshoe shaped hole with no bottom. i'd bet (still) that this was an fvir HWT based on the door shape and holes. Othersise there's no need for the second small hole. I've also seen where the wire/ignitor was removed before.

either way, this video was a mockery of the profession and a shame of the licensing entities.

p.s. - what do you view the videos on and at what resolution?
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Just my samsung tablet. 10.1"

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

wouldnt let me add a pic...

here's where i thought i saw the wire, but could be an illusion due to resolution:

Attachment

right above the sticker on the thermocouple. maybe it was moved or removed in later filmings?
        Attached Files
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Just my samsung tablet. 10.1"

Rick.

way more technology than is currently in my household

edit: i had a thought, so i looked it up. this fits both Rick's and my ideas:

this was probably originally an fvir heater. according to the research this heater probably had the thermocouple/gas valve problem. it is very possible that some contractor changed out the original gas valve and thermocouple to fix the 'pilot goes out' issue. that would leave what we see in the pictures - a standard vented heater with the odd looking door. i base this idea on the 'replacement burner/thermocouple kit' I found on a BW parts site. The american water heaters (pos) also had this problem. The kits supplied a new burner door. The grill style ignitor just clipped to the side of the gas valve.

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM.
          ~~

Comment

Working...
          X