X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Flaring Tool - Brake Lines

I need to make some custom brake lines and I was looking at getting a double flaring tool. Which one do you recommend for brake lines?

Eric,
    There is only one model that will do double-lap flares. It is the model 345DL. Here is a linl so you can take a look.web page

Comment

Corrected Link

Here's the correct link. Its half way down the page.

Comment

Since you are making "custom" brake lines you
        can choose the size you want and need not concern yourself with adapters(from metric to
        standard ,for example)I have used the 345DSL
        double flare too and found it to be a pleasure to use.This is even after shamefully
        abusing it.Although brake lines are soft anymore you should consider investing in some
        tubing benders to give the job a proffesoinal
        finish.Good luck and have fun (Oh by the way
        what kind of vehicle are you putting brakes on?)

Comment

I ordered the 345 and it did not work well at all. The tubing keeps slipping out of the clamp and I can't flare my brake lines. I don't know if the steel teeth on the clamp are strong enough for this or not. Maybe I need to try one of the better ones that will do steel, stainless, and hard copper like the 458. I don't see why I can't use the 485 with a double lap adaper for my lines.

What is this for?
          I am swapping Dana 60 axles in my FJ40 and I need to adapt some of my metric lines to SAE. I also have to bend and cut some new lines to fit the new axles.

Comment

Eric,
            The main problem with using double lap adapters with the model 458 is that the flaring cone on this tool does not come straight down to the bar as the 345 cone does. The 458 cone is eccentrically mounted so that it provides a "rolling" action that "irons out the flare. This rolling action would not allow the double lap adapter bushing to stay in place. As far as the tubing slipping in the bar, make sure that the tubing has not been deformed in any way during the cut -off and that it is within the specified wall thickness (.035).
            If you are still experienceing difficulties, contact RIDGID technical service at 1-800-519-3456

Comment

Working...
            X