Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt-less Iron Removal anyone try one???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt-less Iron Removal anyone try one???

I've worked on lots of water filtration systems.... and they work great... they use salt to negativly charge ( maybe it's positive charge) the media so the iron will backwash off and out
    they use salt if the salt stops being used you clean everything... all old school and all stuff I'm familiar with......
    had a great customer I worked for years ago that lost my number and saw me in a super market and got my number again called me over, all her fill valves are plugged with iron as is the pressure balancing tub and shower valve... I said MRS. Smith what happened to your iron removal system ...she told me she had it all removed as she is on a beautiful pond but there are houses built on top of houses there so no land... maybe 60 feet by 50 feet. hard to believe enough room for the septic and well must be bigger than it looks....... but the salt backwash had caused the septic to fail so she removed the iron removal system and has got the septic working again.
    I see they sell these salt-less iron removal systems... I ALWAYS thought they were a big scam... and don't work..... anyone know if they work??? I have no idea what the PPM of iron level is yet.. I wanted to find out if these salt less systems work before I call her and tell her I'll test her water and see if we can do something

Re: Salt-less Iron Removal anyone try one???

if you're talking the magical ones that use magnetic fields, ceramic magnets or other high tech jargon, then no, they dont work. The only other way of removing iron that i know of is chlorine injection. the iron bonds with the chlorine (usually bleach based) and forms a chelate which settles, the chlorine is then filtered out. There still may be a trace or so of iron left after this process but it helps substantially.

i'd test the raw water before the 'magic' and then the treated water after the 'magic'. a comparison will prove whether or not it actually works. there is no removal because the stuff 'removed' has no place to go.

a properly working softener system should never cause any septic to fail.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

well I typed in salt less iron removal systems and found a lot on line.... (isin't the internet great?) I can't see it working either... but don't know anything about them they all "sound" great... her real problem is no place to run the discharge from the systems backwash... anyplace in the back of the yard will go into the septic anyplace in the front will go into the well. and with her amount of iron I think it may need to backwash daily!!!! I think I'll just show her how to clean stuff.... but thanks Plumber Punky I hate installing magic parts.

Comment

some systems do need to backwash daily. check into iron busting filters. they typically have a different resin which allows for better removal and less salt usage.

there's lots on the internet because these 'conditioners' arent regulated. you will note that none of them ever 'soften' they always 'condition'. this prevents lawsuits.

what is the indication that the septic failed?
        ~~

Comment

the iron curtain is a iron filter that uses compressed air to make the system work with no salt. These have been installed all over wisconsin in areas of high iron content. my dad has one in his house they work great and use no salt or chemicals.

Comment

that's an interesting system. it's actually a certified filter that reduces iron with no salt usage. there are many good reviews of it out there too. it still requires a backwash cycle though.

i'd bet that it uses a media that is more permanently charged, ie not needing salt to become stronger. it probably has a finite lifespan? (can that be verified?)
            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM.
            ~~

Comment

i am not a softener expert but i believe the iron curtain and other copy cat systems use manganese greensand which is a permanant media, it traps the iron and then the iron is backwashed out with just water no salt.

Comment

Manganese greensand has a usable lifespan of 5-8 years. ALL the others that use this media have the same time span in their FAQ's. It is commonly used with the chlorine injection I was talking about before.
                ~~

Comment

My father has a Hurley water filter on his kitchen sink. It's an original type that replaces the standard aerator, with a bypass valve. You run the water at a pencil stream turn on the bypass valve and you get superb clean water. Then when it is time to clean his unit, you take the inlet hose off the bypass valve and lay it in the sink. Then hook up the push on hose to the outlet spout and back flush the unit with hot water.

Hurley Chicago Company, Inc. - Hurley II

The salesman (owner of the company at that time), came over with a unit, and a jug that had a barbed fitting on the bbottom Hooked the unit up to the jug, and filled the jug with water, then ppeppermintoil and food coloring, then used a small hand pump on the top of the jug to push the water through the unit and the water that came out had no smell or color. He wanted my dad to help sell them so he gave us a unit and my uncle. They have made bbetterunits since then like under cabinet units, that give cleaner water than reverse oosmosis with out wasting water. Hurley Chicago Company, Inc. - Protector
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

sorry i mis spoke about the iron curtain filter,,,google,,,,,,hellenbrand iron curtain,,,,,,it does not use manganese greensand or chemicals,but two tanks,the first has oxygen pumped into buy mean of a built on air compressor,that forces the iron molecule off the water molecule,,,,,

Comment

Well I am an expert on water treatment and filtration and salt less softener s don't work and are snake oil at best. Read this site.

www.chem1.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                        sorry i mis spoke about the iron curtain filter,,,google,,,,,,hellenbrand iron curtain,,,,,,it does not use manganese greensand or chemicals,but two tanks,the first has oxygen pumped into buy mean of a built on air compressor,that forces the iron molecule off the water molecule,,,,,
                        they dont say what the media is on their site. i read their documentation. they just say media, of different sizes. i dont think that the air pumped in does jack-schitt. there's not enough contact time for the oxygen to react to form 'rust'. i do think that the 'media' removes the iron until it becomes depleted...in 5-8 years...

unless there is some sort of ion exchange or a chemical change, the water will not be softened or have iron removed.
                        ~~

Comment

maybe your customer has iron bacteria ,,,,,check the inside of toilet tank for redish slime,,,,another thought about failed septic tank and no place to run backwash,,,culligan has a tank exchange program that would solve the backwash problem

Comment

if you want to use old school water softener you can think about potasium cloride instead of sodium chloride,,,may be less harmfull to septic sytem.

Comment

a properly functioning softener should never saturate a septic tank with enough salt to cause a failure. there was something inherently wrong with the septic that a large amount of backwash water brought to light.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X