X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater electrical bonding

I always do the bonding required. Clamps on gas to hot to cold. Mim. 6 G. copper Ground. I have Over 100 Ft of #4
    for services so i use this Larger instead. Do Your inspectors Check for bonding , and 5 ft of insulation around Hot N cold from W.T. ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Water heater electrical bonding

We aren't allowed to touch the wiring at all.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      I always do the bonding required. Clamps on gas to hot to cold. Mim. 6 G. copper Ground. I have Over 100 Ft of #4
      for services so i use this Larger instead. Do Your inspectors Check for bonding , and 5 ft of insulation around Hot N cold from W.T. ?
      No to both.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      We aren't allowed to touch the wiring at all.
      At all? Even for electric water heaters?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Not in my city or the surrounding towns either. Legally, we need to have an electrician disconnect and reconnect the wiring if there is not a disconnect and the panel does not count as a disconnect and how many electric heater installs have you ever seen with one?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Not in my city or the surrounding towns either. Legally, we need to have an electrician disconnect and reconnect the wiring if there is not a disconnect and the panel does not count as a disconnect and how many electric heater installs have you ever seen with one?
          The poor old widow up on Mt Washington must get screwed with an Electric water heater ! TWO TRADESMAN !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

At least she knows its installed correctly.

Comment

Just read this elsewhere . Water heater was leaking, never bonded. When it was removed a discovery was made. It was like You used a can opener across the top from cold water to hot water. New replacement heater was bonded ,Never a problem !
              Guess was stray current caused the Holes from Hot to Cold ! Another reason to bond water Heaters ! Live and Learn !

Comment

if your home has PEX for the plumbing and typically you tie
                the ground to the "water pipe"...what do you do?
                Is bonding the same ..electric VS gas water heater?

In an older home the house ground may be only a single 8-10 foot ground rod at the electrical panel

Cactus Man

Comment

We have all gas here. I don't do pex Myself. Will check My 2911 NEC BOOK on Elec.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Just read this elsewhere . Water heater was leaking, never bonded. When it was removed a discovery was made. It was like You used a can opener across the top from cold water to hot water. New replacement heater was bonded ,Never a problem !
                    Guess was stray current caused the Holes from Hot to Cold ! Another reason to bond water Heaters ! Live and Learn !
                    Yep, Water heaters are also bonded to minimize galvanic reaction from dissimilar metals like copper pipe attached to a steel tank. A dielectric union does a great job of isolating currents, and the hot/cold bond does a great job neutralizing them. The tank can literally acts like a battery and can eat itself up if these currents are not mitigated.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      if your home has PEX for the plumbing and typically you tie
                      the ground to the "water pipe"...what do you do?
                      Is bonding the same ..electric VS gas water heater?
                      In an older home the house ground may be only a single 8-10 foot ground rod at the electrical panel
                      Cactus Man
                      Yes, same for gas or electric heaters (except it might need a gas pipe bond too)
                      Not sure what are you calling "Ground". You may "bond" the water heater to the grounding electrode conductor, but don't alter the electricians connections as this could get you electrocuted.
                      National Electric code says the water piping system can be used as a "grounding electrode" system if the underground metal pipe is longer than 10 feet. A grounding electrode conductor should be hooked up by the electrician within 5 feet of where it enters the building.
                      Even if the house is predominantly pex, It still could be used as a "grounding electrode" provided it meets the 10 foot rule. Otherwise, it still needs to be "bonded" back to the electric service.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                        Yep, Water heaters are also bonded to minimize galvanic reaction from dissimilar metals like copper pipe attached to a steel tank. A dielectric union does a great job of isolating currents, and the hot/cold bond does a great job neutralizing them. The tank can literally acts like a battery and can eat itself up if these currents are not mitigated.
                        On replacement water heaters, if the plumber doesn't do the bonding, Chances are It won't be done, IMO.
                        A brief class on this should be given by the state, and after completion , plumbers would be allowed to Bond, IMO.
                        What's Your take on this , Please

Comment

Working...
                        X