Have a Ridgid 1822 Pipe Threader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a Ridgid 1822 Pipe Threader

And am having trouble threading 1/2 and 3/4.Have (2) 1-2" Quick Release die heads bought a new set of 1/2-3/4 NPT dies (47745) and have switched them in the 2 different heads,#1 die in #1 slot,#2 die in # 2 slot etc.. and still have the problem of the threads breaking off,tearing off....huge gouges....the only problem I can come up with is the oil...don't know for sure what kind it is.It is clear and doesn't smell,looks like hydrolic fluid,maybe I need high speed dies or better yet "Gold Dies".Took the machine in for repair(jaws not closing) and It came back with a 1/4-3/8 set of dies in it which I never have had. Any ideas?
    Ziggy

Ziggy,
    My first suggestion would be to make absolutely sure that you are using the correct oil in the machine. You mentioned that oil looked like hydraulic fluid, this could cause poor thread quality. I would suggest cleaning out the sump and filling it with RIDGID NuClear oil. If the problem persists, I would then suggest giving our technical service department a call, as they can give you some more detailed suggestions of what to look for. Technical Service can be reached at 1-800-519-3456.

Comment

I had the same problem when using ratchet handle. I was using any avalible oil in a spray can. Changed to heavy weight oil car drain oil and never had another problem.

Comment

I have already had very poor quality pipe. Try some pipe from another supplier and see if that helps.

Comment

Did you check the adjustment on the die? I do not cut many threads, & the only problem I have had was when the dies were not properly adjusted. Take a pipe nipple, USA made, and thread it into the die. Loosen the screw, move the dies in or out, tighten the screws. Cut a thread. Continue until the cuts are to your satisfaction.I have not found much difference in oils, unless cutting 2 inch pipe. Lil is cheap, use lots. Most of my threads are in 3/8 to 1 inch pipe. I have found some import pipe has hard spots in it. These may cause threads to break off.

Douglas Hicks
          General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Comment

Well after buying new dies and another die head it turned out to be the oil.....Oh well....needed the extra dies to put in stock,and for the die head (auto) its nicer than the other 2 quick releasws I have.
            Thanks,
            Ziggy

Comment

Working...
            X