X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dielectric nipples for me....

Because they're no good. From a water heater today. Brass nipples only for this guy.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: No dielectric nipples for me....

wow was the washer still in there

Comment

yup. seen this before.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Most of the ones I come across leak long before they get a chance to build up rust on the inside.

Comment

I have used them for years, hate to see that much corrosion. Having switched to Propress, most of ours now are going in with a brass press union.

David

Comment

Old school heaters I always switched to brass.

Today, it's almost impossible as the nipple incorporates the diptube and some incorporate the anoide rod.

But the nipples are better as they are encapsulate with plastic. Time will tell.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Isn't one of the regular posters here using flex connectors? I have purchased but not used 2 Sharkbite quick connects. Probably save them for a holiday/weekend job.

David

Comment

I have switched to copper flex lines . Its the die elec union I see that causes the problem , it attracts crap

Comment

pretty much phased out copper flexes. been using stainless corrugated flexes the last 5 years with great results. they don't go bad sitting on the shelf and they are super flexible too. can be bent any direction and cost less then copper now.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    pretty much phased out copper flexes. been using stainless corrugated flexes the last 5 years with great results. they don't go bad sitting on the shelf and they are super flexible too. can be bent any direction and cost less then copper now.

rick.
                    Me too. On big heaters with connections larger than 1" I use cxf unions. Cost a fortune but don't corrode like dielectric unions. Have also used com unions which are even more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      I have switched to copper flex lines . Its the die elec union I see that causes the problem , it attracts crap
                      The pics I posted had steel nipples, no plastic lining. All the crap was in the union.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Indeed, the unions themselves are to blame.

Why haven't they made an all brass union, that mates to the dielectric nipples with plastic innards?

If you cut off a dip tube about an inch, flared side goes perfectly inside the union and comes in direct contact with the innards of the plastic in the dielectric nipple.

This way if any water gets between dielectric union and dip tube, it will still show galvanic reaction but won't interfere with flow reduction.

I got tired of using complete dip tubes to get that flared end so it couldn't drop down into the tank, but it works quite well.

The only other solution is a sharkbite! FIP 3/4" by 3/4". Don't know if that O-ring will sustain 8-15 years of heat or not.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                        X