X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just read this . Electrician cuts copper gas line by mistake .oklahoma

Apprentice is cutting through drywall for box ,severs copper gas line line. Now this wall use to be the house exterior wall. Plumber called out to repair. Gets permit,does work City signs off. Gas co. says No gas till all house copper Gas pipe removed. Question is the Elec. responsible for whole gas rip out and replace ? Thanks Tool.
    P.S. THE FORUM IS ELECTRICIAN TALK.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Just read this . Electrician cuts copper gas line by mistake .oklahoma

I say no. But I would like to know why they won't accept copper that's been there since day 1?

Copper is legal as long as the sulphur content is below the level for copper.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That makes no sense?

Comment

I wonder the same thing Rick. The copper was already existing and should have already deemed legal. I can only assume the inspector so that the copper was old and deteriorating. Maybe he saw signs of illegal installation or couldn't find the orginal gas permit on it. But that is one costly mistake. That's how the jobs go, Im sure the General Contractor is going to want to backcharge the electrician. And then he's going to blame the apprentice. Look at the bright side no one was hurt.
        Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
        crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

When I started plumbing we used copper for supply lines on Nat gas
          Then they realized the Nat gas here eats it up over time, If the gas gets turned off we have to take it out to pass inspection.
          Its still OK on LP gas

Comment

They use copper here for natural gas all the time. You'd think NG would be the same everywhere, but guess not. I wonder if this is one of the reasons NG powered vehicles is an issue with parts, namely aluminum, being eaten by acidic NG? Still baffles me that we haven't figured out that for fuel over petroleum.

Comment

I think only the repair should be the cost of the electrician. An entire house repipe shouldn't be his responsibility. His mistake only revealed the improper use (maybe) of the gas piping. I mean, if you get caught for speeding on a pothole filled road, do you get a ticket, or a ticket and a summons to repave the road?

Copper is legal here but not recommended. Some still use aluminum here A LOT of the flex pipe (not CSST) I find here is illegal DIY with no permit. There may also be a code in that area that specifies the pipe for use with their natural gas.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

No copper in Hacktown...

Not that will not work but it is coming down to liability issues with the gas suppliers....

Bill that does not make sense you say.... OK, I will explain.

Electrician cuts a copper gas line and says $hit! He then calls the gas company... Big mistake!

Gas company inspects damage (sees copper) and pulls gas meter and leaves me the plumber a nice red tag telling me what they have found.

Plumber now is called to make repairs and pull permit for pressure test and city inspection.

Once pressure test passes and notification is sent to Nat gas provider plumber contacts Nat gas provider to get meter reset.

If copper is not removed per Red tag instructions meter will not be replaced end of story.

Why is that Okiebill? Copper is a perfectly acceptable material for gas lines... The answer is twofold.

First: At least in my area of Oklahoma for decades we were high sulpher Nat gas and ALL copper that i find currently is full of black flake and failing so when I find it we change it out.

Second: Your Natural gas supplier is not required to supply you with Natural gas, They have the right to refuse service if they believe it would be unsafe to place a meter and you can be sure they would be held legally liable should that copper line fail the next day and blow the house off its foundation.

At the end of the day the Electrician caused the issue and did not know how to handle the situation properly. If the Electrician had shut off the gas and contacted a plumber directly the gas company and the city would never have to be involved as it would have been a simple repair not requiring a permit and pressure test, though some plumbers will still insist on copper replacement (Plumber that insists on a permit for a repair is pushing the copper replacement issue)

I guess you could make the fight that you could use copper gasline on a new install but the liability for repair is too high for most city inspectors Plumbers and Nat gas suppliers. The Electrician gets the bill to make right what he wronged...

Here is an example of what we see in Oklahoma: (clogged with flake and a rotted out flare)
                Last edited by OkieBill; 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarify my example...

Comment

If we work on a system here we have to remove any copper gas lines before an inspector will approve it, no inspection? No meter. One county here "Greene" won't even allow it on LP
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    No copper in Hacktown...

Not that will not work but it is coming down to liability issues with the gas suppliers....

Bill that does not make sense you say.... OK, I will explain.

Electrician cuts a copper gas line and says $hit! He then calls the gas company... Big mistake!

Gas company inspects damage (sees copper) and pulls gas meter and leaves me the plumber a nice red tag telling me what they have found.

Plumber now is called to make repairs and pull permit for pressure test and city inspection.

Once pressure test passes and notification is sent to Nat gas provider plumber contacts Nat gas provider to get meter reset.

If copper is not removed per Red tag instructions meter will not be replaced end of story.

Why is that Okiebill? Copper is a perfectly acceptable material for gas lines... The answer is twofold.

First: At least in my area of Oklahoma for decades we were high sulpher Nat gas and ALL copper that i find currently is full of black flake and failing so when I find it we change it out.

Second: Your Natural gas supplier is not required to supply you with Natural gas, They have the right to refuse service if they believe it would be unsafe to place a meter and you can be sure they would be held legally liable should that copper line fail the next day and blow the house off its foundation.

At the end of the day the Electrician caused the issue and did not know how to handle the situation properly. If the Electrician had shut off the gas and contacted a plumber directly the gas company and the city would never have to be involved as it would have been a simple repair not requiring a permit and pressure test, though some plumbers will still insist on copper replacement.

I guess you could make the fight that you could use copper gasline on a new install but the liability for repair is too high for most city inspectors Plumbers and Nat gas suppliers. The Electrician gets the bill to make right what he wronged...

Here is an example of what we see in Oklahoma: (clogged with flake and a rotted out flare)
                    Thanks,great explanation .
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

(image goes here)
                      hey, that is an AWESOME picture of your thumb
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                      X