X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will I learn?

I'm a little slow, but even I see the same old patterns over and over. My go to favorite toilet has been the AmStandard (I know Mexican standard) Champion4. It's had it's faults, but I have 2 in my own home and I've never had to break out a plunger or auger in the last 6 years. All the suppliers in my area (except for the one I don't do business with) have dumped Am Standard for Kohler. This was no big deal as the Depot carried it as a "one box solution" with everything the absent minded non-plumber/homeowner would need: Tank,bowl, wax ring, gasket, seat, etc. But alas, they went from carrying the 1.6gpf models to the new HET 1.28 models. In my opinion, they flush good for 1.28, but not as well as the 1.6.. I know, I shouldn't be buying from a home center in the first place, right? So the other day, I see these new Delta toilets in the Depot at a good price.. Looks sharp.. Check online and it has the 1000map rating I always look for.. Great! Bought 2 for a remodel where the owner wanted to save as much $$ as possible. Delta makes toilets?? Noooo.. Toilets are made in China and have the Delta label on the box; thus the price. Says that the new supply line is included in the box! Great! Set the bowl, lookin good. Open the box with the tank.. What? Are you kidding me? It has this long braided supply line that runs behind the tank and comes in through a rubber grommet near the top. From there it crosses over to a Fmaster like float valve where it's crimped on to the plastic valve. The valve is clamped onto the overflow tube. So, when that float valve needs replacing... Call Delta? Really? This is the kind of crap we're all tired of seeing. Whacky, wait a week to get it parts.. Installed 2 Gerber 1.6gpf Avalanches yesterday. Nice toilet, powerful flush, standard real-world parts. My new go to toilet! I like the 1.6 Kohler Cimmaron, that's a good one to. No more homecenter garbage. I get it. For all you Terry Love/ Toto die hards: I think Toto makes a great product, but there are 0 wholesalers in my area that carry Toto. I'm not going to pull my hair out or pay through the nose because a brand is hard to get here although it would be a great option to offer. Click image for larger version

Name:	b422eb9a25c169f8638de86120ddc54a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	17325Click image for larger version

Name:	71a182121a4e4ee1a13cc0aee4273909.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	17326Click image for larger version

Name:	95803eb8ddc189e91d8e725dfab79014.jpg
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	17327

Re: When will I learn?

toto is avaliable at most my supply houses.

delta 30 years ago came out with a plastic 1 pc. toilet. i only ever saw 1 installed.

the salesman told me back then if i bought 5 i would get a free trip to hawaii. never did as i probably would still be warehousing them.

i too like the champion right height after it's retrofitted to a flapper and not a tower flush valve.

1.28 is the new law, get use to it and buy a jetter. you will be needing it for older installs.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Funny you should mention the plastic toilet. The supplier I bought the Gerbers from was telling me about them. I know the 1.6 are going to disappear, now I've seen they are cutting it back to just a drop over a gallon. Engineers can do amazing things, but there comes a point of "diminishing returns". I'm always amazed at how many old 3.5 and greater are still out there. Tons here in old condos or wherever the water bill is rolled into the maintenance/hoa fee. "Do you realize how much water you could be saving? The new toilets flush very well on less than half what you now use" "I don't get a water bill, just replace the rubber thingy on the old one"... I wish there were a good Toto distributor in this area! Rick, are you saying you can get rid of the flush tower and just install a 3" flapper flush valve? I always thought about that. Does it flush as well as the tower? When I bought mine, it had the old valve/seal everyone hated and that leaked. Called AMStan, they shipped me two of the new flush valves free under warranty. I have to tell you they've been in 3 years and don't leak a drop. I built a new jetter 6 months ago; I should post some pics/specs to get some feedback.

Comment

Unfortunately, I have to use the local cheepo depot because the supply houses in my county are a joke. Here is a video on toilets that will make you laugh.

Comment

Myakka, you and I don't live that far apart. I'm a little familiar with Punta Gorda, but don't advertise work there. Good plumbing suppliers are tough to find in certain areas; especially with the economy for the last __ years. Depots prices are always low, but your selection is very limited. Also, one guy can clear out all the stock on one model should he choose. 4 Kohler Cimmarons in stock, buy all of them. One day I had a friend who couldn't find CPVC piping. We went over to the rack where it's kept, none there. Guy who ran the plumbing dept. said 2 guys walked in half hour ago and bought every stick of half inch and 3/4" they had(Probably not all that much really)

Comment

Rich, How is Southern Supply in Ft Myers. I had a great sales rep out of the Sarasota Southern supply but they gave him a store to run near Tampa.

Comment

Southern is where I bought the Gerber Avalanche from. I think I'll be buying more from there as well. They are a pleasure to deal with, not in the best of neighborhoods, but you go there to buy supplies, not sleep overnight. Todd is the guy who runs Ft. Myers, Sal works the warehouse and does deliveries. Not sure of their delivery radius. Southern has been hit as hard as the rest by the economy here, I'm impressed they've kept Ft. Myers open. In addition to plumbing, they stock a fair amount of tools and General drain cleaning supplies. Pricing is competitive, they carry Gerber and Kohler. I'm sure Todd would be happy to hear from you, I wouldn't hesitate to call.

Comment

Working...
              X