X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue stain on shower tile

The shower has been in use about a year. Anyone have an idea of what is causing the blue residue? We're thinking something in the water, about to have it analyzed.
    Attached Files

Re: Blue stain on shower tile

Must be the water, or cleaning chemicals. I'm curious as to the test results will say.

Comment

You sure its not copper washing leaching from the pipes.

Also how about underlayment. Can it be from under the tile?

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        The shower has been in use about a year. Anyone have an idea of what is causing the blue residue? We're thinking something in the water, about to have it analyzed.
        Some one may have pulled a toilet full of blue TIDY BOWL and set it in the shower,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would never do that,,,,,,,,

Comment

Looks like it's only on the vertical, not the horizontal, and that they are the same tile or stone. Seems strange... is that right or just a trick of the pics? No idea what it causing it. Never seen anything like it.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sometimes an aluminum anode rod coupled with acidic water will turn it blue/green.

Comment

What is the water source? I've had cases where aggressive water leaches copper out of the pipes.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It looks like there is a specific pattern to the discoloration (possibly the area which was shielded by the person is less discolored which would suggested it was the water).

Are these natural stone tiles and if so were they properly sealed. Lack of sealing can cause staining.

Comment

I think soap. The head of the shower is to the upper right correct?
                  Looks like most times the stream of water is directed at a spot just
                  in front of the strainer, so this area gets washed by the water more
                  so less soap residue builds up. What is the color of the soap being
                  used or was used in the past. Might also be from a cleaning agent
                  as was said previously.

What is the material around the edge? Marble maybe, which is more
                  susceptible to staining or absorbtion due to its porus makeup than
                  other materials.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    I think soap. The head of the shower is to the upper right correct?
                    Looks like most times the stream of water is directed at a spot just
                    in front of the strainer, so this area gets washed by the water more
                    so less soap residue builds up. What is the color of the soap being
                    used or was used in the past. Might also be from a cleaning agent
                    as was said previously.
                    What is the material around the edge? Marble maybe, which is more
                    susceptible to staining or absorbtion due to its porus makeup than
                    other materials.

Bob I agree blue bar soap the liquid soaps don't leave as much residue & well water.

Comment

House keeper left the comet on to long

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                        House keeper left the comet on to long

My house keeper doesnt get to keep much of anything on for long...
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I have seen that several times. Once at my own house when I discovered my well casing was broken off at 40' and surface water was pouring down my otherwise deep well. The surface water had a PH of 5.5. This does leach copper and causes a blue stain in the shower. A new well fixed the problem. I'm glad I'm in the business.

You can buy a cheap PH test kit at grocery stores here in Florida because of all the Swimming Pools here. You might give it a try. Your shooting for 7.2 to 7.6 ideally.
                          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

The one project I did had blue water so bad even the dogs water bowt turned blue. Tha water company finally abandoned that well because they could not even blend the water. The developer spent a fortune trucking in bottle water until it was solved.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm feelin blue !
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X