Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this possible

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
    ben, it was your daughters birthday today, were you out working?

Rick.
    No Rick , Ben took Her fishing !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In Australia we do not soft solder anymore, so if we have to silver solder near a soft solder joint we would heat it up and silver solder the joint,

I guess it is capillary attraction that takes the silver solder through the joint, I have never had one leak at a latter stage,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Cut the fitting out and redo it.

Mark
        Can you cut out he fitting and redo as Mark suggests...?????
        Could you get one of Ricks pro-press tools in ???????????????????/

Comment

Thanks but, dastardly hole !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
            In Australia we do not soft solder anymore, so if we have to silver solder near a soft solder joint we would heat it up and silver solder the joint,

I guess it is capillary attraction that takes the silver solder through the joint, I have never had one leak at a latter stage,

Simon
            THANKS , So You are silver soldering over a soft solder joint with success ?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Tool I have actually done this. However reading this forum you will probably struggle as we use the old flux and I think you guys have to use the new DOLPHIN friendly flux. Rick is always saying it is not easy to use So I have to take his word on this. What I remember is that you heat it up and try to melt the old crap out and then flux up to the max. Use 5% or 15% silver solder, don't use the poverty pack crap 2%. I have done it so it shouldn't be too hard. Then again..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes no troubles, just heat it up and let capillary attraction do the hard yards.

We don't use any flux just silver solder, I use 5% but I have mates that use 2%

Simon
                Last edited by Some Day Plumbing; 05-20-2013, 06:24 AM. Reason: Extra

Comment

Leaked fixed . Silver solder to the rescue ! I googled silver soldering over soft solder. Great article about the Navy doing the same on large copper lines ! Thanks all , I am a "GOOGLE HOAR "

Comment

I have a rosebud tip on my Oxy Fuel torch setup that says I can melt whatever I want.......

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                      I have a rosebud tip on my Oxy Fuel torch setup that says I can melt whatever I want.......
                      Don't forget, I'm also a welder

Comment

I know, that is what worries me

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                          Yes no troubles, just heat it up and let capillary attraction do the hard yards.

We don't use any flux just silver solder, I use 5% but I have mates that use 2%

Simon
                          Simon

I know it costs a bit more but try the 15% Silver Solder. Just be a bit more frugal with it. Clean your copper well and it will surprise you too. Got some good tips for cleaning the copper too if you want

Comment

Call me lazy... cut the old fitting off with a hand hacksaw right at the edge of the joints. Sand down any solder residue and propress a 90 on. It's almost a perfect fit.

Ben I have one joint , that after 20 Minutes It will grip occasionally ! Drained down twice and re soldered. I also, use My wet vac to purge out any water ! Driven Me nuts . Of course I'm using 95/5 solder. Question, would it help to go over the joint with 50/50 solder ,because of the low melting Temp. ? Thanks Tool
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Call me lazy... cut the old fitting off with a hand hacksaw right at the edge of the joints. Sand down any solder residue and propress a 90 on. It's almost a perfect fit.
                              OK, " GENO IS LAZY " I like the excitement of 780 F cherry red copper, next to 50 Year old dry fir framing ! Keeps a Guy on His toes !

Comment

Working...
                              X