X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 year old water heater won't heat

neighbor's 8 YO NG HW heater's pilot light is out. unit has a pezio igniter with a little sight glass in it. when i tried to relight the pilot light, i don't hear the sound of gas when i depress the pilot button. don't see any evidence of a spark when repeatedly depressing the igniter when the gas is off. on my NG fired match light HW heater, i can hear a slight hiss of gas from the pilot gas tube whenever i need to relight the pilot light when the pilot button is depressed. on the these sealed, push button ignition HW heaters, is it normal to not be able to hear the hiss of the NG when depressing the pilot button?

the NG fired house boiler right next to it fires, so there's NG in the gas lines. HW heater has no drip leg on the 1/2" black piped NG line. there's moisture under the unit, and the bottom has more than a little rust completely around it. right now, he's of a new unit mind set. i'd still like to know if it's normal to not be able to hear the sound of gas going to the pilot light when pressing the button on the gas valve.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: 8 year old water heater won't heat

Very normal on a sealed fvir heater not to hear the pilot gas. Even the main burner running is quiet.

I would loosen the aluminum pilot line and check for gas. Could be a weak piezzo, but even a spark is hard to see.

My gut feeling is you have spark and gas, but it doesn't stay lit. Unless you have a good eye in the little window, its hard to see what's happening.

Removing the screws and taking off the front cover is an easy way to see and supply air. But without a new gasket door seal, your fvir rating is shot.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

May need a new thermocouple. common failure
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        May need a new thermocouple. common failure
        Too quick for me Tool.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my thought too.....
        BTW what is the average life of your mains pressure NG storage HWS..........????????????

Comment

If it's a Rheem, or another brand like GE that is actually produced by Rheem you could have a failed / used / consumed broken glass vlal which activated by flammable vapors. Are there any gas cans, or other flammable vapors from another source located near the water heater? I've seen paint cans activate the vials.

I don't care for the Rheem solution at all, and do my best to not install Rheem based water heaters. Having to wait for Rheem to ship factory only available vials to get the heater working again is senseless.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Not that I would condone such an application but a 3/8" steel plug is just the right height to replace that vial...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Agreed!!! No way I subject myself and my customer to this idiotic idea (although I did it once but never again). Late Friday afternoon failure and Rheem will mail you the replacement glass vial on Monday? By then my last Rheem had been returned and another brand had been installed. Of course the vial never showed up so I ordered another. It took 2 weeks to arrive. I have kept it for the Rheems that I installed before I learned about the 'safety' vial.

We install about 40-50 heaters a year, our last Rheem is about a 150 heaters ago and counting.........................

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              If it's a Rheem, or another brand like GE that is actually produced by Rheem you could have a failed / used / consumed broken glass vlal which activated by flammable vapors. Are there any gas cans, or other flammable vapors from another source located near the water heater? I've seen paint cans activate the vials.

I don't care for the Rheem solution at all, and do my best to not install Rheem based water heaters. Having to wait for Rheem to ship factory only available vials to get the heater working again is senseless.

Comment

Probably told you guys this before so sorry in advance.

Over here we have a unit called "AQUAMAX". It is a stainless steel cylinder with a five star efficiency rating. So it was outselling the absolute crap out of RHEEM down here so what does a company like Rheem do. you guessed it, they bought the Company because they couldn't beat them with a better product. Go figure.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                  Probably told you guys this before so sorry in advance.

Over here we have a unit called "AQUAMAX". It is a stainless steel cylinder with a five star efficiency rating. So it was outselling the absolute crap out of RHEEM down here so what does a company like Rheem do. you guessed it, they bought the Company because they couldn't beat them with a better product. Go figure.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  And when aquamax started to sell their new hot water service Rheem sent out to every plumbing business a video saying that the Aquamax was crap and that they had done R & D which then hadn`t and were hoped that the Aquamax stainless steel tank wouldn`t last ten years but they were wrong so what did Rheem do they just sprayed some more enamel onto tthe inside of the hot water steel cylinders and gave a ten year warranty but it didn`t help as the Aquaxmax has another vary important item about it it was three hot water services in one as it can be adjusted to deliver between 135 Lt to 200 Lt of hot water in the one unit

Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X