Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me trouble shoot this shutoff, please!

Hello all,

I'm 9 yrs into plumbing, the last year and a half on my own.

I'm tackling a job tomorrow with three shutoffs that appear to be 1/2 female iron pipe thread to a (I believe ...) 1/2 compression. Can anyone confirm this shutoff sizing for me? Additionally, I'm concerned about breaking the black iron nipple i suspect its threaded to and would prefer to save the customer grief by adapting to a 3/8 compression on the outlet instead.

Delta's site offers: http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairpar...s/rp63263.html

Am I on the right course here? Suggestions would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Re: help me trouble shoot this shutoff, please!

hard to tell with the escutcheon in the way but it may be 3/8" iron/galvanized pipe to 1/2" compression.

you may need to open the wall to verify the pipe type, and/or replace the nipple. you may find that it's a brass nipple and that a new shutoff would be the better option. always do the right thing, it's better for the customer and you.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

From my perspective of things, I see a 1/2" ips angle stop that's also a 1/2" slip joint connection. Pretty much just a friction ring and cone washer.

Can't see behind the estucion, but I don't see the typical rust trail from the angle stop to nipple that's a tell tail sign of gal pipe.

You could always use a 1/2 slip joint to 3/8" compression adapter.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The copper tube is connected to the right angled stop tap by way of a crox joint made with a crox tool which splays out the copper tube on the end and allows hemp to be applied making a water tight and secure connection to the stop tap

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Ticketed View Post
          Hello all,

I'm 9 yrs into plumbing, the last year and a half on my own.

I'm tackling a job tomorrow with three shutoffs that appear to be 1/2 female iron pipe thread to a (I believe ...) 1/2 compression. Can anyone confirm this shutoff sizing for me? Additionally, I'm concerned about breaking the black iron nipple i suspect its threaded to and would prefer to save the customer grief by adapting to a 3/8 compression on the outlet instead.

Delta's site offers: RP63263 Delta Pex Compression Adapters : Repairparts Products : Delta Faucet

Am I on the right course here? Suggestions would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
          Sorry I am not familiar with your style of taps but to my eye it looks like a Male Iron not a female. Pipe in and correct me without fear or favour if I am wrong guys.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            The copper tube is connected to the right angled stop tap by way of a crox joint made with a crox tool which splays out the copper tube on the end and allows hemp to be applied making a water tight and secure connection to the stop tap

Tony
            Not to shoot my Aussie buddy down that is what we would expect to see downunder. However maybe you guys use rubber washers or copper wedge type. We look on with interest as usual.

Comment

Cone waste and friction ring.
              How about changing out the stop to a Brass Craft KTR17X C 1/2" IPS x 3/8 Comp or equaL and use a flex riser?

If the nipple in the wall is gal and the fitting in the wall it's connected to is copper, you may have a problem removing the nipple without breaking the fitting. If the fitting is all galvanized, you may need an easy out to removed the nipple because your pliers or wrench will probably crush the nipple rather than remove it.

Comment

I would avoid changing out those stops and only would do it if they would not rebuild... Once you get into wrenching on the Galv nipple that the stop is screwed onto all bets are off, be ready to open the wall and chase the line all the way back to a good connection point if the line is rotten ( that point could be just inside the wall or 20' away...)

The Brasscraft parts listed above will work as long as the pipe is good as well.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best:-)

Comment

Working...
                X