X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheem electric hot water heat pumps

Tell me all about them do they save energy are they noisey with the internal fan etc etc

Re: Rheem electric hot water heat pumps

I have a friend that installs heat pumps and they use about $40.00 per quarter, so yes they are energy efficient although they do better in a hot environment as they get the heat out of the environment they are in. The best place would be in direct sunlight.

If they are used in areas approaching 0C then they use a standard element inside the unit to get them up to temp.

The fan is not that noisey, less than the condensor unit on an air conditioning unit, worse case scenario is that you can have it on a time clock to have it say operate outside 10pm and 6am.

A heat pump operates in reverse to an aircondition unit or fridge. It has the evaporator on the outside and the condenser unit inside the tank usually through a heat exchanger type setup.

The electrical requirement is through a standard power point.

Any other questions please ask.

Simon

Comment

Thanks Simon I`m moving down tho the coast in Victoria and there is no gas and the temperatures are between 6c in winter to 42c in summer when a northerly is blowing I`m amazed what you are saying about the power needed would have thought that it need all of 240V to run it and the back up element not a 10 or 15 amp power point are you sure thats right

Tony

Comment

They usually only run a 2.4kw element if it is too cold for the heat pump to operate and that would be 10 amps for the system.

The system is not that different to a fridge.

In Brisbane they sell a 190litre sytem at a good price, it has a stainless steel tank, I have a friend who installs them and had no issues, I will get the name for you.

If you go to the Rheem website they do a comparison price between any of the hot water systems that they sell and how much a year they cost.

Simon

Simon

Comment

Just been on the net looking at a Siddon solar stream heat pump hot water service and wondering have you heard of it as it is Austtalian made

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony

Here is the company I was talking of, Hydrotherm Hot Water Systems Brisbane, Queensland

They don't use the element for heating the water at low temps.

If you need to speak to my mate about heat pumps PM me and I will give you his number.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              Thanks Simon I`m moving down tho the coast in Victoria and there is no gas and the temperatures are between 6c in winter to 42c in summer when a northerly is blowing I`m amazed what you are saying about the power needed would have thought that it need all of 240V to run it and the back up element not a 10 or 15 amp power point are you sure thats right

Tony
              Hey Tony, where are you moving to. Is this hanging up the stillsons??????????????????

Comment

Hey Simon have you seen much of the Quantum units up there. They are the only ones that got approval under the Kevin 7 Rebate scheme

Comment

The only Quantum units that I have seen here have been in commercial applications that have been manifolded together and in my limited opinion are to slow a recovery for there application.

That would make sense that they got approval under the Kevin 7 Rebate, someone must have had a big brown envelope to get them through.

Comment

I have looked at a number of different heat pumps and find the majority have a steel tank with glass woven onto them with a five year warranty but the Siddons solar stream heat pump has a stainless steal tank with a ten year warranty on the tank

Tony

Comment

Tony, if memory serves me correct Siddons Industries, back when it was the Siddons family, were manufacturing a fantastic heat pump unit. Lost touch until you mention it here. I still don't like them but there sometimes are few alternatives

Comment

Working...
                      X