X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlicensed Plumber - 1888

I found this in my archive and thought the other pro's here would appreciate it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	670597e7613d23c551fe8fb4efc36bce.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	6997
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Unlicensed Plumber - 1888

$30.00 a year in 1888 was a small fortune. Probably several weeks pay.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

You should have seen all the arguments between people that like wool or leather smocks.

Comment

my wife's family farm was first bought in 1887 30.00 probably bought a few acres

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          $30.00 a year in 1888 was a small fortune. Probably several weeks pay.

Rick.
          Yes it was. especially when you consider that when the Federal Minimum Wage was established in 1938 (fifty years later), it was set at 25 cents per hour.
          On Saturday, June 25, 1938, ...., President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed 121 bills. Among these bills was a landmark law in the Nation's social and economic development -- Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA). .... In its final form, the act applied to industries whose combined employment represented only about one-fifth of the labor force. In these industries, it banned oppressive child labor and set the minimum hourly wage at 25 cents, and the maximum workweek at 44 hours.1

Forty years later, a distinguished news commentator asked incredulously: "My God! 25 cents an hour! Why all the fuss?" President Roosevelt expressed a similar sentiment in a "fireside chat" the night before the signing. He warned: "Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, ...tell you...that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry."2 In light of the social legislation of 1978, Americans today may be astonished that a law with such moderate standards could have been thought so revolutionary.
          Source: dol.gov/oasam/programs/history/flsa1938.htm
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Downunder here we have a campaigner who has a trade only supply. Mind you he does kick arse and get the figures on the board. Plumbers Choice, look it up guys it is a cracker.................!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Think of it this way... what is a $20 gold piece from the same era worth today. 25 cents looks a whole lot better. That is how much our dollar has been devalued.

Comment

Working...
              X