X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutoff valve....does it exist?

New customer had a leak at a 1-1/2" pvc sprinkler manifold that ran for 8 hours unnoticed. Next month water bill was 1200. Is there a valve that detects excess water use and automatically shuts off in case of a leak? I'll removing the pvc manifold and installing a copper manifold.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Shutoff valve....does it exist?

Call flood safe Manuf.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

forum software is acting up again...try this link:

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...leak-detectors

it shows something called the watercop. i dont know if the site is using this as an example or if they sell it.

edit: the 'manufacturers' tab appears to have a listing of companies that sell these items.

a comparison chart of similar items:

http://www.diycontrols.com/t-automat...ff-valves.aspx
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

if they lived in beverly hills, the water company would have sent them a notice or phone call to inform them of the abnormality. the meters are wireless and communicate 4 times an hour with the city. they would have made them aware of it.

another option is to put the irrigation system on a master station and it is only powered when the sprinkler timer calls for water. only problem is hose bibbs would be dead too.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i had a nice long write up about how to solve this but the dam database error wiped it out when i went to post it because it had a URL in the text.

this is a PITA and needs to get fixed.

anyway look at the control valve from this company or something like it.
          you won't need their whole setup, just the valve. in fact you could do it with
          any solenoid valve with the right voltage coil on it.

Flo-Guard, IncP.O.
          Box 380105
          Clinton Township MI 48038
          (866) 356-4273

i don't know squat about FloGuard, just using their valve as an example.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            i had a nice long write up about how to solve this but the dam database error wiped it out when i went to post it because it had a URL in the text.

this is a PITA and needs to get fixed.

ya. i got mine to work by posting without parsing the names or other information. then edit and save...
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

lets try again.

if the sprinkler controller can run two programs at once (A and B say), then use B1 to energize a normally closed solenoid valve and open the valve a few minutes before Program A runs. Then set B1 to end (closing the solenoid valve) a few minutes after Program A ends and all zones have been watered.

In this way the solenoid valve controls the branch which feeds the sprinkler system and it is only energized for that time which watering is desired.

if the sprinkler controller can not run two programs at once get a second one. they are cheap enough that this would not be prohibitive. Need to be sure the controller can drive the solenoid, check the power requirements of the solenoid coil for proper voltage and required watts.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                lets try again.

if the sprinkler controller can run two programs at once (A and B say), then use B1 to energize a normally closed solenoid valve and open the valve a few minutes before Program A runs. Then set B1 to end (closing the solenoid valve) a few minutes after Program A ends and all zones have been watered.

In this way the solenoid valve controls the branch which feeds the sprinkler system and it is only energized for that time which watering is desired.

if the sprinkler controller can not run two programs at once get a second one. they are cheap enough that this would not be prohibitive. Need to be sure the controller can drive the solenoid, check the power requirements of the solenoid coil for proper voltage and required watts.
                This would prevent constant water lose from a leak, but it would neither detect nor alert of same. And, if the watering time of the effected zone were short, the wireless city monitor might not pick it up.

Comment

I didn't think about where the manifold was located. Around here, even though we can get sub-freezing temps in winter, most are outside with the zone valves below grade in a box.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Basically what I had posted. There are sprinkler timers that have an output for pump control zone relay contact. This is energized the entire time each zone is on. Also runs on a 24vac circuit. All you need is a master zone valve at the brach line to the manifold and then the complete sprinkler system is dead. Problem is so are the hose bibbs around the yard that are on the irrigation main.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Most of our controllers have what we call a master or redundant solenoid valve. Like some of the others the only thing is if you have a burst or broken pipe you will only pickup from visual inspection. Also check that the solenoids aren't letting go or passing. This can be expensive and they are mechanical afterall

Comment

true, but how far do you want to carry the reliability or redundancy out to ensure positive shutoff/no leaks.

IIRC the original problem was a break when no one was home, so if all you want to do is reduce the chance
                        of a leak in the sprinkler system then that one master shutoff valve controlled by the timer seems reasonable.

If you're really paranoid then a visual check by a person with verification by a second person could be done,
                        such as a lock-out/tag-out valve position verification is done. I think that is getting carried away in this
                        situation though.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X