X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack job

How many turns does it take to twist a pipe in two ?

Re: Hack job

The solder held.
    sigpic

Comment

Does it leak?

If not you're good to go.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        The solder held.
        I remember they used to make us cut joints lengthwise and hammer them flat to make sure they held up:-)

I see a lot of homeowners who end up doing this, anything to not cut the wall open...lol

Comment

I used to install them on flanged male adapters so you Could unscrew them without cutting the wall
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

There is no way there is any flow through that pipe. I'm going to say this one was staged for the internet.

Comment

I've seen customers do that before. This one looks like it has a female copper adapter that didnt let loose. Maybe it's soldered on (old timers did this a lot in my area) or it's otherwise corroded together. There is also now a drip at the bottom of the spigot to copper joint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57157298d102680d36b1e84be6bc9225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	17651
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

if you look the fm and the 90 are sil flossed, im sure it made the tube a little softer

They had the wall cut open when i got their a few days later to fix it ,the twisting stopped the drip they were trying to fix

Comment

Downunder the Magistrate would ask two questions

1 Does it work. If the answer is yes then he would proceed to
                  2 What are you doing wasting my time then.

Comment

it's obvious the lines were brazed and therefore annealed. especially with such a short run from both joints. of course with them trying unscrew a blind joint from the outside of the structure, they had no real feel or way to prevent this initially when they tried to service the hose bibb?

soldered joints would not have twisted to that extreme and a good chance the threaded joint would have been able to unscrew.

we've all been there with threaded angle stops, shower arms and such. it's an educated gamble we take to unscrew a blind joint.

so although they might not have realized they twisted the pipe at first, they did a few days later when they cut the wall open themselves. i wouldn't call it a hack job by your customer, it's more of a poor installation by the original plumber. how in the world would anyone have unscrewed the pipe without opening up the wall?

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                      There is no way there is any flow through that pipe. I'm going to say this one was staged for the internet.
                      when you are around a while you will find stupid people very capable of a good screw up

Comment

I see this quite often. Frost proof hose bib inside the wall. Customer thinks they can twist them off from outside and end up twisting or breaking the copper. If I'm lucky I can get to them from the basement without opening walls but at least twice a month I'm opening a wall. Never had that many frost proof bibs out in California but up here that's all there is.

Comment

Here, too. And they always freeze and split because they are pitched backwards or the 'tards leave the hose on. "But it's freeze-proof!"

The copper stubbed versions usually can be brazed closed. The chromed versions dont take braze for anything and usually get replaced. There are usually exceptions to this rule, too.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I replace them. One female propress fitting on the new valve and one propress slip coupling usually does it.

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                            Here, too. And they always freeze and split because they are pitched backwards or the 'tards leave the hose on. "But it's freeze-proof!"

The copper stubbed versions usually can be brazed closed. The chromed versions dont take braze for anything and usually get replaced. There are usually exceptions to this rule, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X