X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help.....

So long story short I piped a new house made propress header which unfortunately ended up right behind the hot water tanks, due to lack of space in the mechanical slash laundry area. Ran a 1" municipal service line series 200 then put a 1"x3/4x3/4" tee in and ran two 3/4 services into a shared dwelling kind of like a duplex except its two.sisters each gets one side with a shared entry/studio. Ran to mains in so that if water meters ever come to town they can distinguish who's using what, also so if one is locked and the other needs the main off each have the option each have there own Bradford white 40 gallon electric. So here you must protect the municipal service line with a check valve so both mains got a disk check valve. Also vavuam breakers and thermal expansion tanks. The village had an issue with there curb stop so it got dug and replaced now I have both sides charged except all of a sudden both check valves started slamming I can't see both failing out of the box, but at the same time I can't see enough rubble getting in the pipe so end up in both checkvalves. I wasn't there to see what the village did but I know they had the curb stop out atleast twice? What do you guys think the checkvalves are on an awkward spot beside the hot water tanks really don't want to have drain both tanks and cut into all the nice propress I have done, not a huge job but a pain in the *** regardless.

Re: help.....

you could try flushing the system with water and air to see it that cleans them up. even a good shop vac should suck.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I ran a garden hose off both cold lines on the washer box thinking that was the biggest outlet. besides running a length of half inch pex off one of the lavatory water supplys with a ball valve.. I have never heard a check valve make a noise like this continous slamming even when water isn't Bering used for a few seconds. But both of them is what is concering me? Ps thanks Rick haven't been on here to recently but always appreciate the helpful hints.

Comment

I have about 3' of copper between the main shut off and the check valve thinking about cutting in a 3/4" boiler drain and using my pump I use on hot water tanks to try and back siphon the check valve I should either get the rock or the valve will slam and let water buy in which case I should no if there faulty? That should work right?

Comment

....disk check valve. Also vavuam breakers and thermal expansion tanks.
          I think your problem may lie in how these components are physically placed in the system in relation to each other.

What make/model disk check are you using?
          Is it in a horizontal run or a riser?

You say the disk check is there to protect the municipal water system..is this a check valve or a backflow preventer?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            I have never heard a check valve make a noise like this continous slamming even when water isn't Bering used for a few seconds. But both of them is what is concering me?
            This is indicative of a short pressure wave coming from outside the system. Higher pressure from somewhere outside is pushing the checkvalves open (inside the house is lower pressure), then the wave passes (reduces water pressure in the main), higher pressure in the house then slams the valves shut again (noise).

So who outside, up the main, down the main, can create a short blast of water hammer?
            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 07-13-2013, 09:40 AM.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Sounds like water hammer. I'd replace the swing checks with spring checks.

Comment

Hot water tanks aren't on yet so not thermal expansion, flushed the system for about 30min pressure gauge reads 58 psi both systems. They are spring disk check valves I rarely use swing checks. Hammer arrestors onn both washer boxes no prvs on either system due to 58 inlet pressure. Think some gravel or something must have got in there

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  This is indicative of a short pressure wave coming from outside the system. Higher pressure from somewhere outside is pushing the checkvalves open (inside the house is lower pressure), then the wave passes (reduces water pressure in the main), higher pressure in the house then slams the valves shut again (noise).

So who outside, up the main, down the main, can create a short blast of water hammer?
                  Its a residential neighbour hood there is an elementary school.a few blocks away and a hospital but I can't see that doing this, its a 1" line off of a 6" watermain.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                    Hot water tanks aren't on yet so not thermal expansion, flushed the system for about 30min pressure gauge reads 58 psi both systems. They are spring disk check valves I rarely use swing checks. Hammer arrestors onn both washer boxes no prvs on either system due to 58 inlet pressure. Think some gravel or something must have got in there

don't forget if the washing machine isn't installed or better still if the washer box valves aren't on the hammer arrestors aren't being used

Comment

Hmmmmm, I'm gonna say that the system pressure is fighting the expansion tank (s) and causing the check to chatter while both sides equalize...

What is the pressure rating on the disk checks and did you verify it is the right one for your application?
                      Last edited by OkieBill; 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Hmmmmm, I'm gonna say that the system pressure is fighting the expansion tank (s) and causing the check to chatter while both sides equalize...

What is the pressure rating on the disk checks and did you verify it is the right one for your application?
                        My thoughts exactly. You beat me to it
                        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                          My thoughts exactly. You beat me to it
                          Yup, I agree. That's why I asked how it was configured (what was where).

I think your problem may lie in how these components are physically placed in
                          the system in relation to each other.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Test by isolating the expansion tank/s. You might also leave a pressure gauge with a sleepy hand on for 24 hours to see if you are getting any spikes.

Comment

Working...
                            X