X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Buildings

Is it common practice to trap the bathtub below the concrete floor in the room below or in a space in the walls?

Attachment

I have to do multiple repairs, such as this one, where the other hack didn't set the tub overflow correctly and it floods the room below. This involves removing all the tub/shower valve trim, removing the liquid nails adhered fiberglass/marble-ized wall panel, fixing...

I always see this when on the second floor. The trap is always below the concrete, there are wads of flux everywhere, there is no fire stop...typical lowest bidder stuff.
    Attached Files
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Hotel Buildings

Ummmmm, not to be a smart *** but on a second story install where else are you gonna trap it??? Unless you raise the tub up the trap has got to be below the tub since the tub sits on the floor right???

Comment

Of course, in a stick build construction the trap resides in the ceiling of the first floor as one would expect. In other commercial buildings I've worked in that also had concrete floors the trap was directly below the tub. Just like in stick built - it is nearly directly below the tub.

I didn't phrase it clearly enough... should the trap be remotely installed from the tub? This trap, for example, is nearly 2 feet lateral distance from the tub above.
      ~~

Comment

No, it's not typical and likely to be a running trap.

Overflow the only problem here? You might be able to get the gasket through the front and pull the overflow with the screw and coverplate tight enough to seal it.

You've got a spot there to watch and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          No, it's not typical and likely to be a running trap.

Overflow the only problem here? You might be able to get the gasket through the front and pull the overflow with the screw and coverplate tight enough to seal it.

You've got a spot there to watch and see if it works.
          The last one i did like that. This one was off to the left by 1/2" and too low by 1/4". It uses crappy pot metal covers with a central screw that tends to pull clear thru the cover. This hotel is too cheap to replace the covers when they do break, too, and insist upon hacky washers to cover the broken hole.
          ~~

Comment

Very common in pre-cast construction,use a tub designed for above the floor rough in(gives you 3"-4" under the tub) and what i call a Chicago code W+O(overflow and waste arms extend straight back from the openings 10" to 12",you cut them to the desired length) that allows you to set the tub and run the the tub waste back into the wall above the floor to trap it.These new buildings are being built with the precast as finished ceiling height and they don't want a soffit over the tub to hide the trap,only place left is in the wall where they leave a chase for the plumbing stack and a vertiacl trunk line for the fans.They work great if installed correctly,we've done 1000s of them.
            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
            X