X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerber Viper production moving back to USA

I just got word at a local supply house that next year production of the Gerber Viper toilets is moving to a factory in Indiana.

I am absolutely extatic about this move by Gerber.
    I can only hope that eventually all porcelain production moves back to the states .

Re: Gerber Viper production moving back to USA

I have a customer that keeps plugging up the toilet with heavy solids.
    Is this a good toilet to flush sticky solids all the way through.
    Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Absolutely! My son used to plug up our mansfield EVERY time. Put a gerber viper in there....hasn't been backed up since. We have the avalanche in our bath. Both toilets have a big wet spot so it keeps streaking down to a minimum.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

OK, Many on this board give Gerber big praises. Couple of months ago tried a avalanche could have been a viper which ever of the two that was priced like a Toto drake. The Gerber rep was at the supplier so after talking to him I went for it. Being installed in a house for sale so I'd probably never have to deal with it again Wanted to see what Gerber was like.

Had trouble with the tank to bowl gasket, I couldnt get it to compress enough. Thought maybe it was wrong. Called gerber tech support on a FRIGGIN toilet!! Tech said "yup its a thick gasket and you just need a second man to compress the tank to the bowl" . Got it done with no damage. Never needed help with a toilet install, so no more Gerber for me.

Tried with gaskets on hand to find something that would work, no go.

Been very happy with Toto, don't need the hassle with a routine job.

Never broke a tank but was thinking the whole time well this will be the first.
        Last edited by wookie; 09-28-2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I've never had a complaint about a viper plugging. Never had a problem with close couple gasket either. It's extra thick, but all you have to do is push down slightly one side then the other . The plastic nuts on the close couple bolts are the only negative I have to say about gerber.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            I've never had a complaint about a viper plugging. Never had a problem with close couple gasket either. It's extra thick, but all you have to do is push down slightly one side then the other . The plastic nuts on the close couple bolts are the only negative I have to say about gerber.
            Forgot about the plastic nuts...another negative. I'm 6'2" 260# used it all to compress that gasket. Just should not have to torque down that hard on porcelin IMHO.

Gave it a good testing. Flushed great!

Comment

I've installed a few hundred of the Viper and maybe a hundred of the Avalanche and have never had a problem. Just push down slightly on one side and tighten the plastic nut by hand (love the plastic nuts), slightly push down the other side and do the same. It's so easy a child could do it, it's practically effortless. I don't know what you were doing or what you were dealing with but no way in hell is it that hard as you describe. I don't know what happened to you but it's never happened to me or anyone else that installs Gerber that I know of. Best gravity flush toilet out there imo. Gerber made this toilet with the plumber in mind, they made it the easiest toilet to install I've ever seen. That's why Gerber has such a great following.

Originally posted by wookie View Post
              Forgot about the plastic nuts...another negative. I'm 6'2" 260# used it all to compress that gasket. Just should not have to torque down that hard on porcelin IMHO.

Gave it a good testing. Flushed great!

Comment

Just got done installing a gerber dualmatic toilet. Push the handle down for #2, pull up for #1. Uses a sloan tank inside. The tank was super difficult to tighten al the way. I ended up using some wobble wedges and its dead solid.

BTW.....unless your supplier has these in stock, make no promises on a delivery time. Mine took 3 weeks to come in.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                  OK, Many on this board give Gerber big praises. Couple of months ago tried a avalanche could have been a viper which ever of the two that was priced like a Toto drake. The Gerber rep was at the supplier so after talking to him I went for it. Being installed in a house for sale so I'd probably never have to deal with it again Wanted to see what Gerber was like.

Had trouble with the tank to bowl gasket, I couldnt get it to compress enough. Thought maybe it was wrong. Called gerber tech support on a FRIGGIN toilet!! Tech said "yup its a thick gasket and you just need a second man to compress the tank to the bowl" . Got it done with no damage. Never needed help with a toilet install, so no more Gerber for me.

Tried with gaskets on hand to find something that would work, no go.

Been very happy with Toto, don't need the hassle with a routine job.

Never broke a tank but was thinking the whole time well this will be the first.
                  Wow. I've installed many many Vipers and Avalanches and have never experienced what you described. Perhaps the gasket you were provided was old and stiffer than normal for some reason? in any event, your experience certainly seems like an outlier.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                  X